Which transmittion oil reduces 'notchy' change?

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Which transmittion oil reduces 'notchy' change?

Postby HighlandMX5 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:35 pm

Hello folks!! (It's been a while!)

I've just carried out a full service on my 1992 Eunos (1.6 manual), and as part of the service, and not knowing the cars history, I've changed all fluids, including the transmittion fluid, which came out a 'pinky' colour. I replaced it with the recommended oil as per 'Haynes'.

Anyway, since changing the oil (and yes, I've checked the level is correct with no leaks) the car has become very 'notchy' between 1st and 2nd when cold. I know it's a common fault and my last '5' was just as bad, but it was very good before I changed the oil. :( I can only assume from the colour that the previous jap owner added some kind of additive, and I would love to have it back 'as it was!' Does anyone have any idea what it could have been? It was pink, that's all I know!! :?:
Fun is just the turn of a key away!!!!
HighlandMX5

Postby DouglasH » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:18 pm

Hi HighlandMX5....unfortunately and even with newer models the answer would appear to be none, I fitted Redline gear (red in colour) and transmission oils about 3 months ago and although the change is slightly better, its not the miracle cure I expected. http://www.mx5scotland.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=231
You did not say what kind of oil you used or if you changed the Turret oil also, sometimes that can help.
DouglasH

Postby PaulDS » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:38 pm

Hi Highland,
Lost your name and phone number but perhaps we could meet up and compare sounds. It is not something I am particularly aware of with my Mk1.
Phone number 01542 835443
Paul
Findochty
PaulDS

Postby HighlandMX5 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:04 pm

Hi DouglasH

I just used the normal Castrol oil for manual boxes, as recommended in the 'Veloce' service manual. :? Does the synthetic stuff make a difference?

:?: Anyone tried Slick50 :?:
HighlandMX5

Postby graeme » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:33 pm

fully synth is recommended
graeme

Postby Hardtrack » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:09 am

You find most people put slick 50 in ,when there is a problem.Defeating the purpose in the first place.Maybe if people put it in ,in the first place it would save the damage it's trying to put a coating over to cover :)
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby HighlandMX5 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:56 pm

Okay Dokey!!

Job for next weekend, put in synthetic oil and Slick50. Hopefully that will get it back to 'how it was'.

Cheers guys :lol:
HighlandMX5

Return to Technical