What Fuel Should I use

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

What Fuel Should I use

Postby Colin & Margaret » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:02 pm

Having a standard 2002 Sport, I have been looking for some advice on what petrol to use. Question is, do I use standard unleaded or super unleaded?

The handbook just refers to unleaded (95 minimum) but makes no reference to standard or super. Looking through the forum, there has been some discussion on fuel and additives but these all seem to refer to cars with some go fast bits.

All advice graetfully received.

Regards

Colin
2002 1.8 Silver Sport - Now gone too a new home..............
2010 2.0 Aluminium Silver Sport Tech - Getting on but still enjoying the wind in my skin!!
Colin & Margaret

Postby Hardtrack » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:06 am

Normal unleaded is fine.......super unleaded is fine to,although debatable whether you will feel any benefit in performance and at 25p more a gallon :wink:
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby graeme » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:20 pm

I agree with Hardtrack. I noticed a difference but not a 25p/gal difference. I use just a couple of tanks a year of Optimax to clean the engine and go back to the 95 ron stuff for every other fill.
graeme

Postby DouglasH » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:03 pm

Ok here's my slant on this....I agree with all of the above and many on the National forum have said as much, BUT all of the above is applicable to the Mk-1 only, the Mk-2 / 2.5 is a different case altogether as can be testified by many, I suggest you try Optimax, see for yourself, I vouch you will notice the difference :D by the second tankfull.
I was very sceptical especially as I had never set foot in a Shell Garage since 1987, when I and many other Vauxhall owners suffered minor engine damage as a result of using Shell's first attempt at cleaner fuel, I have now been using solely Optimax for eighteen months and don't mind paying extra for what I would classify as another mod. If your looking for extra mpg I would stick to the ordinary fuels as I have never seen any noticeble difference in fuel economy, I have noticed slightly better pick up, :D slight increase in performance :D and the strangest benefit I have found is a quieter engine.
These are all only my opinions and no doubt the knockers will be right in there, give it a go and come back and tell us what you have found.
DouglasH

Postby Colin & Margaret » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:19 pm

Guys

Thanks for the advice. Each time I have filled up, I have looked at the Super Unleaded pump and wondered if the extra cash per litre is worth it and whether it will make any difference.

Feedback looks like it is worth a try so will give it a go and see what we find. It might give a bit extra go and make the engine a bit quiter but won't solve my greatest bug bear which is the quality of the road surfaces.

Is it just me or are the roads around town and the suburbs particularly bad? We have just had a section of Glasgow Road resurfaced and in the Mondeo, it feels fine. However, the Sport finds every dent in the surface and tells you about it! Do the rest of you find other ways home and to places you regularly visit just to get a better journey? Margaret tells me that I am just getting old and to stop complaining. I have not managed to get the smile off her face that appeared the day she first drove the car home!!! :D

Regards

Colin
2002 1.8 Silver Sport - Now gone too a new home..............
2010 2.0 Aluminium Silver Sport Tech - Getting on but still enjoying the wind in my skin!!
Colin & Margaret

Postby graeme » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:04 am

Margaret is obviously missing a trick. I would have said "Well you take the Mondeo and I'll put up with the 5 then" :lol:
graeme

RE:What Fuel Should I use

Postby Levenhowe » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:02 am

Hi i have a 2002 1.8i (same engine as the sport) and i will only run it on Optimax.
I also vouch you will notice the difference 8)

You can get Optimax in Erskine for a couple of pence more than my local BP (Balloch) sells unleaded

I found that a combination of a K&N panel filter, a warm engine and my heavy right foot caused some pinking in the high gears (The car was checked out with no problems but a recommendation that it "was a performance car treat it as such and let it drink the good stuff")

Never had any problems on Optimax and the extra miles to fill up are worth it to play on the big Erskine roundabouts :P
MX5's are good but they are not that good!!

topdown ... Make your own mind up ...

Chrome makes your car look like a tarts handbag...

MX5OC = Owners who do lunch ...
Levenhowe

Return to Technical