Can you recomend which tyres?

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Postby martin1962 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:23 pm

Hi all

I,ve only had the car a couple of weeks but starting to do the winter jobs while it,s raining outside!
The front tyres are getting near the mark and I am looking at replacing them. I will only be using the car for weekend fun driving round the Highlands etc and don't intend to do any track days.

Can you give me some idea as what is a good rubber for the front?

Cheers

Martin :roll:
MK1 1.8i 1997 black
martin1962

Postby grouse » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:41 pm

Hi Martin!

Welcome - hope you'll 'stick around'....

..you certainly will if you get Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tyres! :D :D
Grouse

Another fine example of
"low-flying technology!"
grouse

Postby boydie » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:49 pm

I will only ever use TOYO T1S or the new T1R tyres! very impressed with them. The best tyres I've ever had! although the goodyears are meant to be good aswell
boydie

Postby Hardtrack » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:07 pm

You don't say what size of rims you have.........14/15?.Some swear buy f1's(which are expensive),some sing Toyo's praises,these are a cheap tyre around ?150 fitted for a set of 4x15's.Suppose it's all down to what you want from a tyre and how much you are prepared to pay.I used Pirelli p6000's when i had 14 rims,had no probs with them and they are relatively cheap.I now use Yokohama's which came with my alloys,again a relatively cheap tyre....and don't slide as much as Toyo's in the wet,ask Douglas :P.....must be my heavier frame :wink:
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Cheers

Postby martin1962 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:29 pm

Thanks for the advice, I have 14" wheels with 185 Toyo,s on all round.

I,ll have a look around and see what prices I can find

Martin :P
MK1 1.8i 1997 black
martin1962

Postby Si » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:59 pm

My first set of tyres were Pirellie P6000s and I thought they were great tyres. Predicatable and good traction in the snow. (14" rims)

When I got my 15" alloys, they came with BF Goodrich tyres .... they were fantastic. Not as good in the dry, but great in the wet.

I've now got Toyo Poxies T1-S and I'm not so sure about them. VERY predictable, but don't seem to offer the same levels of grip as the previous tyres I've had.

You make an interesting note that you only want tyres for weekends in the highlands, and not for track days. I'd say you'd probably want to spend MORE on tyres for on the road as you're more likely to need a good set for those unpredictable moments. On track, you know within a few laps what corners are going to come up and what speeds you can take them at.

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby gm » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:31 am

i guess i fall into the 'swear by toyo's' camp - my mx5 came with a whole heap of rubbish tyres on 14" rims. i replaced them immediately with yokohama A539s which showed a noticeable improvement (toyo don't make the t1-s in 14" size) but only two weeks later was involved innocently in an accident which knackered an alloy & tyre. The nice man at seafield coachworks told the insurance that a single replacement wheel could not be bought new so i got a replacement set of 15" alloys and fitted them with the toyo t1-s (nice and cheap at www.blackcircles.com)

I used these tyres on my previous car (a civic - good first car but not a patch on the mazda) and always found them to be pretty good. Now fitted to the mazda, it feels great. Possibly 'cos i've been driving a vw polo diesel for the past few weeks, my opinion of which is not fit for print !

Anyway, i'm planning a good few (s)miles today, i'll report back later.

On the bodywork side of things, seafield did a pretty good job. The new wing and paintwork match very well. I can't comment on the cost as some other poor bugger is picking up the bill !

Whatever you go for, it's probably a good idea to match the front and back - can you justify replacing the whole set ?
gm

tyres

Postby martin1962 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:33 pm

Seems a shame to replace the backs as they have plenty of life left in them.

Good point about Track/road use though. Guess the miles I do would mean a set would last me for ages.

I don't intend to use it in snow etc..company car and free diesel mean the Passat does most of my miles even though after driving the Mazda it feels like I,m behind the wheel of a tractor!

I,ve never kept looking at the weather forcast so much to see what the weekend weather will bring...Last 2 weekends been great with sunshine and the need to put the roof down!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
MK1 1.8i 1997 black
martin1962

2nd best

Postby loftladderman » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:54 am

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tyres
ANYTHING else is second best.
Twice the cost of the Toyos...sort of speaks for it's self :-)

You want cheap ? get the Toyos :lol:
You want the best ? Get the Goodies :wink:
Regards from Mack
Greddy Turbo :-)
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby mike9jr » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:48 am

I replaced mine with Toyo T1-Rs all round. Longer lasting than the T1-S's and very, very good.

I would suggest that for the miles you intend to do the Toyo's would be pretty damn perfect. Get the T1-R's, I dont think you'd ever regret it, a good combination of performance and price.

Mike
mike9jr
OC Member

Postby Levenhowe » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:11 am

Got to be the TOYO`S

I moved to Toyo`s a few months ago and i am very impressed

The T1R`s 205/45/16`s are now run in and i have started to explore the limits

Very grippy

With plenty feel and a gradual breakaway!

Much safer in the wet than the old bridgstones
And much more fun on roundabouts!!!!

And now its winter :cry:
MX5's are good but they are not that good!!

topdown ... Make your own mind up ...

Chrome makes your car look like a tarts handbag...

MX5OC = Owners who do lunch ...
Levenhowe

Assume

Postby loftladderman » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:41 pm

Assume all who are saying the ? price Toyos are better than the Firestones just dont try hard enough. :wink:

I would not put anything LESS than the Bridgies on my Greddy...tried Potensas tried the Toyos ( on normally aspirated MX's) BUT settled on the Bridgies on the fast one...Twice the price and at LEAST twice as good.

You get what you pay for :-)

You want to value your lives at ? price...go ahead...I value mine a wee bit more I guess :-) pmsl
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby DouglasH » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:18 pm

You get what you pay for

Your absolutely right Mack...it seems that many (and I was guilty of this too) that sing the praises of Toyo T1R's seem to do so when the tyres are new or almost new, I am now of the opinion (well proven) that after 18 months and 8k miles the Toyos are not as good as they were when new, even with 5mm rear and 6mm front tread left, I have had far too many err... moments that would not have occured with my old Michelin Pilots with 26k miles and 3mm rear and 4mm front tread. I agree that the new Toyo T1s looks a better tyre with firmer sidewalls but until someone comes back after a year and a good few thousand miles and states they are still a good tyre I will not be convinced. My old prerogative was to buy the best and although I was persuaded to go for the Toyo's, I now believe the time has come to go back to my original beliefs.

What about the new Yohohama Advan Neovas..seem to be getting good press, anyone tried them. I know there seems to be a restriction on sizes available at the present.

DouglasH

Douglas

Postby loftladderman » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:27 pm

Cheers Douglas.
This is my worry with ANY tyre....grip over a period of time.
My Bridgies are as good after 8k very HARD miles as they were when first fitted with very little wear considering my driving style..LOL

Any of the lads who followed me down the A99 switchback from John O'Groats and onwards on the A90, back to Montrose (After the charity run) will vouch for JUST how good these Bridgies are !

I did have to change the front ones at 2K miles as I had an off while playing down at Mallory Park Circuit and put a large dent in the wall of one of them.
Still...I now have the old one that was not damaged as a spare and the two new ones are the hard wall versions :-)
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby Hardtrack » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:39 am

I had Bridgestones on my other Mazda from when i purchased it.Changed to Avons with the hardened sidewall when i felt the tread was getting low on the bridgestones...............worst thing i ever done,the Avons are like racing slicks in the wet :x..........so although the bridgestones were on another car,i have to agree that Bridgestones are a decent tyre.You need put on a few pounds Dougie and your Toyo's will grip fine 8)
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Return to Technical