needing a bodyshop

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

needing a bodyshop

Postby gm » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:01 pm

Hi All,

Due to an incident today involving some clot who didn't see a no entry sign, i'm now needing to find a bodyshop to replace my front wing and straigten out a dent in the drivers door. Can anyone recommend somewhere in the Edinburgh area ? The car still drives but i'll need to get the suspension checked out. And a new alloy (anyone got a spare 14" 5 spoke going cheap ? )

Thankfully no one was hurt but my pride and joy is pretty messed up. What could i expect to pay for a new wing, painted and fitted ? The other driver wants to settle without involving his insurers. Is this a wise way to go about things ? I got his details so i can claim if he changes his mind.

Hoping for some good advice,

GM

(i was going to post a photo but couldn't figure out how)[/img]
gm

Postby sparkly » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:06 pm

If you're trying to save money by getting a clever coachbuilder to fill in and spray rather than expensively replace multiple body panels, recommend Hakan at Global Car Repairs, Lower Gilmore Pl (tucked beside the taxi repair place). Saved me a fortune twice, most recently on husband's LandRover (fraction of dealership quote). Faultless results, v impressed. Wonder if the shortcut-defying mini concrete bollard on the corner of Castle St/Lothian Rd can say the same .. :oops:

Should have taken the 5 there instead of going for gold with known good coachbuilder (Greenbank, L at Loanhead MG junction) and his by-the-book new passenger door replacement method on a multiple scrape, which I assumed was vandalism but he demonstrated how it must have been caused by a reverse'n'run builder's van. Guess I just wanted to treat it nicely because it was new <lol>. But daresay would have been more expensive still at a dealership.
sparkly

Postby gm » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:55 pm

I got a quote from Seafield Coachworks for a staggering ?850 not including replacing the alloy. Not suprisingly, it's going to be an insurance job.

They recommend a company called HelpHire who will handle the claim without affecting my own no claims bonus. It sounds like a pretty good option, anyone have any experience good or bad ? I'll let you know how i get on.
gm

Postby Si » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:12 pm

?850 seems like a hell of a lot for a ?75 panel and some panel beating, but, if the other guy is paying and you've heard good words about the coachworks then go for it.

Never heard of HelpHire, sorry.

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby gm » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:41 am

I agree, ?850 does seem steep but the suspension and steering geometry is probably going to need a bit of work too. Never mind, i'm not paying. Except i'll be driving around in a vw polo for the next week or so. Just not the same.
gm

Postby graeme » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:12 pm

Could be worse, it could be Pistachio green.

D'Oh! :roll:
graeme

Postby gm » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:42 am

Finally got my baby back yesterday, what a dreadful time it was waiting. I was probably more excited than the day i bought the car as i now know what i've been missing.

The good news is that it looks as good as new (well, when it was new to me) and i scored a new set of alloys and tyres into the bargain. And all at no cost to me at all. My own insurers were not involved so my all important no claims is still intact.

I promised myself that as soon as i had it back, i would fill the tank and just drive all day having fun. So if anyone sees a mk1 in silver with a grinning idiot at the helm tomorrow, give me a wave !
gm

Return to Technical