Algae appearing on hood

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Algae appearing on hood

Postby stratos_blue » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:15 am

Hi all ...I have recently noticed some nasty green Algae appearing around the drain areas of my hood . Its getting fairly obvious now as the hood is light grey. Normal washing of the car with jetspray does'nt seem to budge it and I dont really want to focus on it with the lance . I know there will be products available but to cut to the chase can anyone recommend one that does what it says on the tin ...? Thanks .............................Tom
There is only one satisfying way to boot a computer.
stratos_blue

Postby Phil » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:24 am

I use an old toothbrush and a bucket of warm water with car shampoo in it. gently scrub the affected areas and it will clean it a treat. :)
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby stratos_blue » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:57 pm

Thanks Phil ....Does'nt sound too difficult and will definately give it a try .
stratos_blue

Postby Si » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:31 pm

Damn ...... if only I'd known to use a toothbrush ...... I just ordered up a new hood :lol:

Toothbrush is probably the best option to be honest. What's the inside of the hood like? Is there any mould that needs attention?

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby Phil » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:34 pm

Just make sure it's an old tooth brush, using the wife's is not a good idea. :D :D :D :D :shock:
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby DouglasH » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:13 pm

If its just the rubber seals and drain points you want to clean quickly without too much scrubbing, in fact without any scrubbing as this stuff just washes off..try 'Dettox Anti Bacterial Mould and Mildew Remover' you can find it in any supermarket, costs around ?3.00, brilliant stuff, first tried it about ten years ago was advised to use it on double glazed windows, you know those annoying black spots that appear on the white mastic, couldn't believe it, spray on wash off.
Disclaimer..contains bleach make sure you cover any materials that may be affected, may be better spraying into a container then brushing on.
DouglasH

Postby stratos_blue » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:43 am

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions , the prob is'nt too bad actually , just some discoloration on the outside along the drain line and some on seams , nothing on the inside though . Will let you know how it turns out and thanks again ..............................Tom
stratos_blue

Return to Technical