Over-wintering Query

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Over-wintering Query

Postby kevham » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:17 pm

Hi folks,
My '5 is now tucked up for the winter (for the first time). I was thinking of putting the battery on trickle charge - can this be done with the MX5 battery? If so, which terminal is positive and which is negative (it's a Mk2).
Is there any advice on other things I should do - it's likely to be in the garage for 3-4 months. Should I increase or decrease tyre pressures?

Thanks,

Kev

Current car - 1998 1.8i
Previous cars - 1998 VS-spec, 1994 1.8iS
kevham

Postby mgrays » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:48 pm

Get a battery conditioner... I think Halfords even stock them for about ?40... check the battery .. the wire clamped onto the body is negative and is usually the one nearest the outside world.. the other wire has a plastic cover over it and runs into the big black wiring loom.

Some recommend a few more psi in the tyres

Definitely wash it underneath and on top... and then let it dry.

Consider a dehumidifier - this will pull the moisture/water out of the air which is the major cause of rust etc. and provide a very little heat. This is about 90-120W of power so about a light bulb or less power. Only trouble is that it keeps creating distilled water (keep for your radiator!) so a drain is useful.. and it will freeze and ice up.. so put it in a storage bin to catch the drips! I run one all the time in shed/garage and everything stores as if it was in your heated spare bedroom.

Get a cover of some sort .. even old sheets/curtains just to keep dust off.

In perfect world service the car just before you store.

I stored my for 2 years with 6 monthly returns from Middle East.. just battery conditioner, dust cover and a wash before it went away .. with a dehumidifier.. no tyres/oil mess around.. oh I guess I threw WD40 over the engine...
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby Phil » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:47 pm

Do not leave the handbrake on, leave it in gear and chock if you need to.

Dehumidifier and battery conditioner are both good ideas. If you don't get the battery conditioner trickle charge every two weeks.

Make sure all the mud etc. is washed off, especially round wheel arches and other nooks and crannies.

A light spray of WD40 in the engine compartment will do no harm.
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby kevham » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:15 pm

Thanks for the advice.
Car was thoroughly washed today. It's always garaged with the handbrake off and I already have a battery conditioner (just never used it on the '5).
I also have a dehumidifier (somewhere) - it had never occurred to me to use it in the garage (doh!).
I think I'll invest in a cover though. This is my third '5 and I really want to try and keep it in good nick (unlike the last 2 which were thrashed round most of the race tracks in the UK)

Plan is to service it when it comes out in March/April. Certainly can't afford to do it now since I've just spent ?800 servicing my other car!

Thanks again,
Kev

Current car: 1998 1.8i
Previous cars: 1998 VS-Spec, 1994 1.8iS
kevham

Postby DouglasH » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:17 am

Could also jack up car remove wheels and store. Tyres deteriorate if left in same position with car weight on them, use axel stands with foam or rubber, or you could do what the caravanners do over winter, invest in two pairs of 'Winter Wheels' from any caravan outlet, basically they are frames made from steel plate and angle iron, with a big hole in middle for hub (grease cap) and four elongated slots for wheel studs to pass through and bolt onto, added bonus is that no one can steal your car.
DouglasH

Return to Technical