Tightening an MX5 hardtop to stop wind noise

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Postby Tnorris » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:02 pm

Hi-

My wife has just got a newish mk2.5 MX5 icon and we have had her previous hardtop resparayed to fit new car. We are getting wind noise when on mway - just at the sides where rubber seal from htop meets door seal. I feel that if I could get more 'pull down pressure' from the two large hood catches behind the seats this would help. I have adjusted them as far as I can using the nut inside the catch itself - no good.

Can either half of the catch (on htop or on MX5) be slid to make the pull greater?

Sorry if this is poorly written.

If you can, please advise. :?:
Tnorris

Postby Hardtrack » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:52 pm

I think you will find a hardtop is more noisey than the soft top,at least mine is,very boomy..........but to be honest i haven't the prob of wind noise,i'm sure there is a way of adjusting the latches more,i'm sure someone will reply in more detail :)
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby Richardn » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:24 am

Maybe it is the window that needs raising slightly. How does the window relate to the quarter light?
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby bryanc » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:58 pm

I too have just had a hardtop resprayed and fitted to an Arctic. I find that it rattles far more than previously so I'd be interested in knowing how you managed to tighten the clips. You mentioned a bolt that you tightened.

I'd be interested in tightening the clips behind the seats as this may pull the roof more into position.

Any clues? :?:
bryanc

Postby Tnorris » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:32 pm

Hi,

To all members who are interested in this subject. A VERY helpful email from Val at www.mx5parts.co.uk tells me the following ..

''Yes, you need to slacken the three 'torx' bolts that hold the clamp bracket to the body of the car and then slide it down slightly''.
Thanks for helping Val.

Tony
Tnorris

Postby Richardn » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:53 pm

Never trust a man with a womans name :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The brackets only have 2 bolts in each as thay fasten to the car, they have sideways adjustment. You can loosen the 3 torx that are on the hardtop but can only move the catch sideways

To adjust the latches open the latch and push away the cover on the hex nut (long) rotate the hex nut, this shortens the latch. The latches at the screen and the sides are the same

Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Technical