Head Gasket Replacement

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Head Gasket Replacement

Postby TheBlueRaja » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:53 am

Hi All,
Im looking at my Cylinder block and noticing a lot of oil around the back of it next to the Window Screen side, and i think the gasket there is going. Additionally the seal between the top half of the cylinder block and the bottom half seems to be leaking.

So i was wondering if i got the Head Gasket set from Shing Fung here http://sftmx5parts.co.uk/engine.htm, how much would it cost to get this done? Or does anyone want some cash to do it (if you can)?

Im in Falkirk.

Ta.
TheBlueRaja

Postby Richardn » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:07 pm

I doubt very much that it is the headgasket. If the headgasket had gone it would show other symptons.

It will be an oil leak from the O ring on the crank angle sensor (much cheaper)
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby TheBlueRaja » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:02 pm

Actually,
having consulted the Mx-5 Enthusiasts workshop manual and read a little :oops: , i think your right that it isnt the head gasket.

I actually thought it may be the Rocker gasket on the cambox cover after a bit of reading - but im not so sure given my current record of predicting issues here.

You mention the crank angle sensor - is that this here?

http://www.miata.net/garage/cas_oring.html
TheBlueRaja

Postby Richardn » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:35 pm

Yes that is it
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby TheBlueRaja » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:08 pm

Looks resonably straight forward to replace according to the manual - not that site - as i intend to do it when i replace the Rocker Gasket (cambox cover seal) so that will be off and the crank angle sensor should be far more accessible.

I have seen a few people suggest that i should also replace the Camshaft oil seals at the same time, but in order to do that it looks like im going to have to remove the camshaft pulleys - which will probably screw the timing right up - so i dont think i will - best not to run before walking :wink: . I will assess it when im in there and see if it needs done and if so look deeper into it.

One more thing, im getting conflicting info, accordign to the manual and miata.net i should apply silicone sealant to the corners of the crank angle sensor housing and front camshaft bearing cap shrouds but when speaking to the garage they said they dont normally do that - anyone any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the help Richardn, appreciate it.
TheBlueRaja

Postby Richardn » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:34 pm

I put silicone on my last 1.6 when I polished the camcover, it never leaked
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby TheBlueRaja » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:40 pm

Yeah,
I think i will too - cant do any harm (assuming i dont put it in the wrong place :D )
TheBlueRaja

Postby TheBlueRaja » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:34 am

Anyone know where i can get some high temperature silicone sealant from?

Or even if you have some what the product / manufacturer name it is?

Ta

EDIT: Found some - ta.

http://www.ur-motoring.co.uk/acatalog/g ... _fix_.html
TheBlueRaja

Return to Technical