ROLLING ROAD - ABERDEEN

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

ROLLING ROAD - ABERDEEN

Postby loftladderman » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:01 pm

What a day I have had.
What a GREAT day I have had I mean :-)
Me and the Greddy :-)

Playing on a Dastek Dynamometer.
A Dyno - A Rolling Road.

Scarey listening to your car being revved to the Max in 3rd gear !
Wonderful watching the computer screen and seeing what power you are making though :-) Both in figures and in Graphs on each run.

The noise of the powerful fan linked with the noise from the car was painfull to the ears, and the fan is so powerful that you could not stand in front of it as it blew you back to the car ! LOL
At least it meant the car temps did not go silly.

Soundproofed room and all the equipment less than 1 month old.
Pristine.
All controlled by Russel. Highly skilled opperative.
This machinery is so sensitive even turning the car FAN on and off alters the power readings !

As we are not allowed to advertise, cant tell you where it is in Aberdeen or who runs it.
As we are not allowed to talk power or speed, cant tell you what the power output was but suffice to say it was "ok" pmsl !

With the Nitrous running at 100hp, it was 40% BETTER than "ok" ! ha haaaaaaaa
AND...I have 8 printed read outs to keep me amused on those cold winter nights when I cant take the Greddy out to play :-)

I am back there in 10 days time to check out some other mods I am fitting and BOY am I looking forward to it :-)
I also intend to take my white roadster up wich is nearly standard and see what the power output on THAT is in comparison.
Regards from Mack
Greddy Turbo :-)
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Re: ROLLING ROAD - ABERDEEN

Postby Si » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:08 pm

loftladderman wrote:As we are not allowed to advertise, cant tell you where it is in Aberdeen or who runs it.
As we are not allowed to talk power or speed, cant tell you what the power output was but suffice to say it was "ok" pmsl !

Don't be an arse and just tell us what you got (with and without NOS).

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

I love being an arse :-)

Postby loftladderman » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:53 am

Si...shame on you lad !
You should not be encouraging unsafe practises !
Should be our guiding light. LOL

165bhp @ 6,500 rpm low boost (5.6lbs) non NOS 3rd gear testing.
195bhp @ 6,500 rpm on what I have my HIGH boost set at (9.5lbs) non NOS 3rd gear testing.

As NOS still has to be dialed in (next visit) and it was running way to rich on the jets I was running, causing the car to splutter we could only safely take her up to 5,000 rpm and she was making 211 bhp at THAT point.
This was on 9.5lbs of turbo boost.
Projected figure at 6,500 is around 220 plus bhp.

No so bad for a wee 1.6 :-)

Now have to wait on a selection of new jets to arrive for the NOS and Fuel before the next run :-(
May even have the water / methanol injection fitted by then if work does NOT keep getting in my bloody way ! LOL
What was amazing was the torque readings.
Very steep climb up to 165 (ft/lbs) at only 5,000 rpm !
No wonder I always think she pulls like a fast train...LOL

Did notice on all the runs / graphs that revving her over 6.500 is a complete waste of time though as it flattens out at that point completely.

A most enjoyable experience indeed :-)

I am still not sure about keeping the NOS as it is NOT practical on the road at all.
Damned unpredictable and dangerous I think.
PS: Of course I would not dream of using this power on the public roads as I am always a courteous and safe driver who practises NOTHING but legal driving. :wink:
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby Si » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:57 pm

Nice figures! Not too disimilar to what Petrolhead (dave) was getting with his S/C and NOS configuration.

When you're car is on the rolling road you're not going to get stopped by a copper, so blagging rights from them are legal and encouraged :D

Don't you have a switch to disable the NOS while you're on the road? With this crappy weather I'm having to concentrate a lot more on my driving and can't imagine coping with the possibility of NOS kicking in.

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Switch

Postby loftladderman » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:43 pm

Hi Si
Sure.. I have the control switch and also the Mini Max control unit....(This I am still setting up for a more progressive supply of the NOS).
To be fair to STOP me being tempted to use the NOS on the road I simply shut the bottle down in the boot...LOL
Car is more than nimble enough without resorting to the NOS. :twisted:
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby mgrays » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:32 pm

Whose road? There was an Accountant who had started one up at Bridge of Don about 3 years ago.. never got back to him and I had a feeling he would fail.. The other one is Taylors on Lang Stracht who could not tune a tuning fork... they had my Lancia for 2 weeks and gave it back with new plug leads having thrown out the ?60 worth of platinum motorbike rading plugs :evil: .. and it idled at 1800 rpm. I ended up retuning by ear. Ricky Gauld runs the best rolling road up here but I think he ran off to Huntley instead of Bucksburn. He fixed my Fulvia for virtually nothing (wrong jets) as he always wanted one .. a real star on tuning but with not much in the way of real gear. Always had Ferraris and rally cars stacked all around him!
Last edited by mgrays on Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby IanH » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:59 pm

There's a Russell at Bavaria on Hutcheon St, would they have invested in one?
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

WALLACE

Postby loftladderman » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:03 pm

Wallace Performance... Bridge of Don....MAY be the place to go :wink:
Worked for me...LOL
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby PaulDS » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:45 pm

Hi Mac.
Good to see your back in the country.
When you going again Mac?
Sounds like it's worth a drive through just to spectate and 'FEEL THE FORCE' if that's OK.
Paul
Findochty.
PaulDS

Paul D-S

Postby loftladderman » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:52 pm

Hi Paul

I am "away" again with the Greddy :-)
Me and Dax in France camping and looking at some jobs....work AND pleasure :-)

I am hoping to get back in to Wallace next week or in 2 weeks time....depends on work and all that stuff.

I would like to get water / methanol injection fitted first though, IF time allows !
All ready to fit but hand made S/S tank for the boot, not ready yet :-(
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Return to Technical