Toyo T1-R's

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Postby bryanc » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:25 am

My first 5 came with Yokahamas. After the Mrs spun it 180 on Dumbarton Road at rush hour, we looked for new tyres which were good in both dry and wet conditions. (Not immediately - I convinced her it was 'cause of inexperience of rear wheel drive cars. It took her ages to get the confidence to drive her again.) We eventually plumped for Goodyear F1's which have been fantastic. The odd twitch but nothing in comparison. These are definitley worth considering. I also agree in terms of a) looking around and b) buying decent tyres. I was originally of the opinion it didn't really matter what you put on but this episode has convinced me that it makes one hell of a difference - no cheapos for me. Also got a cracking deal just by phoning a few independents. I got my set in Linlithgow - really knowledgable staff and a good price. :wink:
bryanc

Postby DouglasH » Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:47 pm

Grouse wrote
Is this the most important point of this thread..?

No..I'm not talking about common sense stuff, would like to credit everyone with the knowledge that their tyres are checked frequently to at least the manufacturers 26lb.

I am refering to the fact that Toyo's T1-S 's(can't vouch for the T1-R yet) really need a few lb above the 26 standard, due the softer tyrewall, when I first had my Toyo's I hated them and wanted my Pilots back, after reading about the pressure thing I experimented and found that 31 lb suited me and transformed the straightline and cornering abilities of the car.
DouglasH

Postby gm » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:11 pm

i used to run my toyo's at +2psi above the recommended 28 for a civic and although i'm not quite sure why i did it at the time, it seemed to just 'feel' better. what douglas is saying now makes sense.

i buy my tyres via blackcircles.com (shameless plug) who will deliver them to your door or to a local fitter of your choice at very keen prices. i'm kind of biased as one of my mates works for them but they are a good outfit.

as i'm about to invest in new wheels and tyres, i'd be interested in what other owners have fitted, especially what wheel and tyre sizes fit best.

i've figured out that fitting 195/50-15 tyres will be the equivalent rolling circumference to 185/60-14 but then developed a bit of a headache and gave up. their must be an easier way than pen, paper and what little grey matter i could muster. any suggestions ?
gm

Postby murwilson » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:43 pm

gm wrote:ii've figured out that fitting 195/50-15 tyres will be the equivalent rolling circumference to 185/60-14 but then developed a bit of a headache and gave up. their must be an easier way than pen, paper and what little grey matter i could muster. any suggestions ?

Try here, might help

http://pw1.netcom.com/~sgalaba/tiresize.htm

Mur
Hers - '08 Stormy Blue MK3 Sport, factory lowered, k&n filter, Toyo Proxes PX4, I.L. Motorsports stainless exhaust.
http://www.mymx5.org
His - '08 Deep Bronze Civic Type R. Standard. It's a hooligan!
murwilson

Postby sparkly » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:56 am

Like Colin & Margaret, I have the Bridgestone Turanza ES 205/45 R16s as standard. After 7 months/8K, I checked the pressures for the first time at Gretna en route to the Nat Rally as hadn't had it on a motorway before. Had it in my head they should be 28 all round, and they were 28/29, but had the manual handy and realised it should be 26, so set them at that all round. Car ran beautifully on the M6, but have since detected it not quite so good on my everyday 'normal' twisties. To car-thickie like myself seems to make sense that the softer the tyres, the more they're gonna 'stick' to the road, so 26 would be better than 28 .. right? er ..wrong :? :roll: Does the fact they were significantly higher than recommended after 8 thousand miles mean the dealership deliberately set them at higher pressure for a good reason? (Or just to stop them going flat parked up in the yard ... :lol: )
sparkly

Postby kristoff » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:29 pm

Seen Toyo Proxes T1S 195/50R15 82V - SET OF 4 for ?129 + ?10 delivery on a website and it looks a good deal. I also just bought a set of white alloys and will need to marry them up if I buy these tyres online. I hope to get one of the lads round at National Tyres to do it as a homer one night, wonder how much it will be, anyone got any ideas?

Chris
Gerr on t'internet.
kristoff

Postby gm » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:58 pm

kristoff

sounds like a very good price - can you let me know which site you saw it ?

having bought tyres on line, i have used national tyres on causewayside, edinburgh to balance and fit them at only ?5 per corner. the next time, they were too busy with proper business so i went to budget at murrayfield who took ?25 to fit two !

i guess it pays to shop around.

(i found the same tyre at mytyres.co.uk for ?31.70 each x 4 = ?126.80 including delivery. not a site i've used myself - if you go for this option, let me know how you get on.)

know any good suppliers for alloys online ?

cheers,

gm.
gm

Postby kristoff » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:07 pm

GM,

This is the link for the tyres: http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... 93s99p2019

And this is the link for the wheels I got. They look smart on the white Eunos and hopefully they will look smart on mine too! From time to time this ebayer sells the same alloys and I think they were a good buy.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MEWA:IT

Cheers,

Chris
Gerr on t'internet.
kristoff

Postby gm » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:22 pm

Chris,

Looks like you got yourself a bargain and they do look pretty smart on the white eunos. i see he has another two sets available but i'm not too sure about white wheels on a silver car ! I'll keep looking.

cheers,

gm
gm

Postby Phil » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:33 pm

Certainly looks like a bargain, cheaper than any I've seen. :D
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby kristoff » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:37 pm

Wish I was getting them in time for Sunday's run but there's no chance of that :roll:

Chris
Gerr on t'internet.
kristoff

Previous

Return to Technical