Toyo T1-R's

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Toyo T1-R's

Postby mike9jr » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:03 pm

Hi folks.

Just thought I'd pass on my feelings re the above.

On my second MX now, my latest one is now wearing 4 excellent T1r's. The difference between these and the tyres on my old 5 is like night and day.
The wee red one was very skitish in the wet, ok in the dry (obviously !), but the toyo's were bombproof in the rain the other day, felt very well planted and inspired confidence. In the dry they are awesome!! And as a bonus, they look good.

A very keenly priced tyre too, highly recommended.

Mike
mike9jr
OC Member

Postby Greg & Nic » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:11 pm

Yer Cheque's in the post Mike...... :wink:
Thanks for the comments though. Glad you're impressed.
91 BRG V Spec....The Wee Beastie
Greg & Nic

Postby mike9jr » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:55 pm

No probs, genuinly pleased to praise quality.
Tyres are brill...

Took it for a spin on the back roads to work today, still getting the MX grin, every time. Wonderful stuff.!!! :D

Mike
mike9jr
OC Member

Postby murwilson » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:12 pm

Got a nail in the rear offside last Sunday and had to go to Kwik Fit for emergency repair. Unfortunatlely, nail was too near the sidewall and it needed a tyre.

Only tyre they had was Goodyear F1, which I'd read good reviews on, so I got him to stick a pair on the back. Pricey and don't use Kwik Fit normally but got good service and a small discount as I knew the Managers sister (another story :oops: )

Very impressed with these tyres.

Mur
Hers - '08 Stormy Blue MK3 Sport, factory lowered, k&n filter, Toyo Proxes PX4, I.L. Motorsports stainless exhaust.
http://www.mymx5.org
His - '08 Deep Bronze Civic Type R. Standard. It's a hooligan!
murwilson

Postby grouse » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:41 pm

Very impressed with these tyres.

I'll go with that... :)

Driving back from the Lakes yesterday with a fully laden boot and full fuel tank in that stinkin' weather, I was glad of F1's all round.. :D

Was that the Kirkcaldy manager's sister......? :wink:
Grouse

Another fine example of
"low-flying technology!"
grouse

Postby derek68 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:53 pm

Mike -

Aye ... thanks for the warnin' ... ! :lol:
derek68

Toyo tyres......?

Postby stratos_blue » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:34 pm

Bear with me please on this one ....Toyo tyres : would that be the proper brand name or an abbreviation used by those in the know ? Being unenlightened in the art of ( sportscar ) tyre purchasing and also being a relatively new owner of an MX-5 , I find myself lacking in technical nous . Or so it would seem . Done a search on Google re . Toyo T1-r and it turned up nothing ....anyone out there able to shed some light ..?
There is only one satisfying way to boot a computer.
stratos_blue

Postby mike9jr » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:27 pm

I'm sure if you looked at www.toyo. something, you'd find info on Toyo Proxie's.

Not too common at the moment but seem to be spreading, especially in performance circles.

M
mike9jr
OC Member

Postby Colin & Margaret » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:23 pm

The Sport is currently running on Bridgestones (205/45/16) and not sure how they compare with other makes. Bridgestones were on the car when I got it and I replaced one recently (twice actually as the new one only lasted 2 weeks before it got a nail!!) with a new Bridgestone to keep the set matched.

Last week I nearly lost the back end in the wet on a roundabout and had to clean the seat afterwards!! :oops: Is this normal (not the cleaning the seat bit) and do I just have to be very careful on anything other than dry roads when not headed in a straight line? The car did not seem to stay stuck to the road very well.

On where to get tyres, a friend put me onto Fleet Mobile Tyres who did an excellent job on the Goodyear Eagles for the Mondeo :D . ?21 a tyre cheaper than Kwik Fit plus the guy turns up at your front door in a van, half seven at night and changed the tyres on the drive. Seemed to have a branch of Kwik Fit in the back and was done in around 40 minutes (2 wheels done). :D

Cheers

Colin
2002 1.8 Silver Sport - Now gone too a new home..............
2010 2.0 Aluminium Silver Sport Tech - Getting on but still enjoying the wind in my skin!!
Colin & Margaret

Postby boringchap » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:23 pm

I decided to change the standard Michelins that came with the car ('98 1.8S Mk2) and followed the advice of some contributors to the (not available any more) archive section on tyres and put on Goodyear Eagle Venturas. Difference so amazing it makes you wonder why they put Michelins on the damn thing in the first place. Only down side of the Venturas is that they aren't the prettiest tread on the market!
Tom.
boringchap
OC Member

Postby Hardtrack » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:59 pm

But only the roadkill could have told you they never liked the tyre pattern :P
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby derek68 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:08 pm

boringchap wrote: ... Only down side of the Venturas is that they aren't the prettiest tread on the market!
Tom.

:shock: ... :? ... :lol: ... okay so, might be new to the board, but I don't know if I'll ever be thinkin' of tyre tread patterns as pretty! ... :lol:

Any chance of a pic?
derek68

Postby boringchap » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:21 pm

Hardtrack wrote:
But only the roadkill could have told you they never liked the tyre pattern

It's that sort of humour that keeps me addicted to this forum, well done! I suppose contemplating the prettiness of tyre tread does tend to suggest the reason why I am the "boringchap".

Tom.
boringchap
OC Member

Postby DouglasH » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:19 pm

Boring...not you Tom some of your posts have been most entertaining, :wink: not to mention your unusual trousers :shock:
DouglasH

Postby boringchap » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:39 am

Fortunately for the rest of the club who are going on the 17th, my two week child centred "holiday" beefed me up to extent that I can no longer squeeze into the offeding strides :oops: . However... I promise you all, the steering wheel trousers will return next season :D !

Tom.
boringchap
OC Member

Postby mike9jr » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:49 am

As i said earlier in the initial post, The Toyo's made a massive difference in the wet. I too found the standard tyres were leading to the 'twitches' on wet roads, but the Toyo's have lead to a general confidence in the ability of my new beastie to hang on in there on wet roads.

They do claim to be a good wet weather tyre and I can only agree on their peformance so far.

As to the pattern, not 'pretty' as such but the arrow style pattern does look good in a sort of, well, aggresive stylie. They look like they're going quick, even parked up in the garage. Know what I mean??

Mike
mike9jr
OC Member

Postby gm » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:09 pm

i had a set of toyo t-1s on my honda civic which i just traded in to get my first mx5. the difference in handling when i replaced the scabby assortment of 'budget' tyres was mighty impressive. fantastic on the dry and pretty good on the wet stuff. led to an overall feeling of confidence in the car.

i am now needing to replace all four corners of the mx5 (why do people insist on fitting completely crap tyres when good ones are not that much more expensive - if you know where to look ?) and will be going for toyo's again. i just need to get rid of the poxy 14" wheels which really let the look of the car down. anyone got a set of 15" or 16" for sale ?

watch out for the toyos in the snow, they were pretty dodgy on a front wheel civic, i can't imagine what acrobatics they will lead to on a rear drive motor. but i am looking forward to finding out in a snow covered car park somewhere !
gm

Postby DouglasH » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:00 pm

Good point gm, although I agree Toyo's are great tyres, (for the money) the roadholding and grip is excellent and the footprint not only looks good but displaces a hell of a lot of water, remember there are better tyres out there.
It should also be pointed out, that you will lose the back end in the wet just as easily with Toyo's as you would with any other tyres, I'm not talking about crazy stuff here, I'm talking about everyday situations, like going to work, or going round roundabouts.
Remember to up the tyre pressures.
DouglasH

Postby gm » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:36 am

i had a near miss on some wet cobbles this morning coming across edinburgh - the back end totally lost it on a corner and i was pretty lucky to get it back from what felt like 45o to the direction of the road. fortunately ms gm had just been dropped off at work or i'd really be in trouble. time to invest in some new rubber.
gm

Tyres

Postby grouse » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:12 am

Douglas wrote:
Remember to up the tyre pressures.

Is this the most important point of this thread..?

And, I'm sure, will start another debate - I got caught out with under-inflated tyres (or was it overloaded car?) on holiday recently! :roll:
Grouse

Another fine example of
"low-flying technology!"
grouse

Next

Return to Technical