new owner needing security advice

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

new owner needing security advice

Postby gm » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:57 am

Hi All,

Tomorrow I am collecting my new pride and joy - a silver '97 1.8 and am in need of advice on security matters. Unfortunately, due to my living in central Edinburgh, my new toy will be parked in the street. Although it's not a particularly rough area, i'm worrying like a new parent.

My insurers are understandably keen for me to fit an immobiliser, is it worth going the whole hog and fitting a Cat 1 alarm ? Or would a hard top be a better investment ?

Phoning around, Ray Smith seem to have the best prices ?99 for a Cat2 immobiliser ?349 for a cat1 alarm (fitted) - Has anyone used him ?

All advice will be gratefully received.

I'm posting at 2am because i just can't sleep - too excited !
gm

Postby ninja » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:04 am

i've got a cat 1 alarm fitted and think it was well worth the peace of mind that it gives. my car's parked on the street too, normally not far from my house so it's within sight.

the soft top's obviously the weak point in your car tho - any thieving little toerag's gonna go in thru that rather than the window when stealing your stereo!!!! even although the window would only cost 50 quit to fix - git's!!!

so yeah a hard top would be a very good investment too - but get the alarm first IMO

ninja :evil:
ninja

Postby Si » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:04 am

Welcome to the forums :)

I live in central Edinburgh (Gorgie to be precise) and have parked my car on the street there for the past 3 years with little in the way of trouble (touch wood!!).

Not sure if you've sorted out your insurance, but when I did I HAD to have a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm and immob installed before any of the companies would touch me (was 24 at the time). In the time I've had it I think I've had about 5 or 6 false alarms ...... not bad considering the high winds we get here :)

Haven't used Ray Smith personally, but he does seem to get some good press on other car related forums.

Enjoy your new toy!
Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby inddigo » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:20 am

Welcome to the madness.....

I also had to have a Cat 1 fitted for insurance purposes, luckily my baby already had 1 fitted :)

Andy
Andy and Jo
Zoomette '96 Eunos VR Ltd 1.8
Zoom II '03 MX-5 Supreme Blue 1.8 Sport gone to...
Zoom '94 MX-5 BRG 1.8 Sport - Now gone....
inddigo

Postby ninja » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:59 am

i didn't even check to see if my insurance company wanted the alarm! lol, i just worry about my little car!!!!

ninja :evil:
ninja

Postby boydie » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:16 pm

I have a TOAD cat 1 fitted (AI606) with optional microwave and dual shock sensors from Skids in Falkirk. Fully fitted it cost ?300 and they came out to my house to fit it. It is an excellent security system and I've never had any false alarms even though i've set the shock sensor to be rather sensitive!
boydie

Postby boringchap » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:29 pm

I had a Clifford Cat 1 fitted on delivery and it has given me piece of mind over the years. Mind you I also have a Tracker fitted, so I would expect to get it back even if it gets knicked on a low-loader!
boringchap
OC Member

Re: new owner needing security advice

Postby Greg & Nic » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:21 pm

gm wrote:Hi All,

...........my new toy will be parked in the street.

No it won't...... it'll be blatting around the countryside with a grinning mad person at the wheel... :wink:
You can always buy a baseball bat and sleep in the car :shock:
91 BRG V Spec....The Wee Beastie
Greg & Nic

Postby Hardtrack » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:38 pm

My car came with a Cat 1 Cobra with microwave and shock sensors.....when i purchased the car ,i had to turn the sensitivity up on the microwave,as it's a must if you leave your car with the roof down,works a treat now,even goes off if you hit the windsreen with water from a hose when washing it :shock: ,but has gave me no false alarms otherwise,would certainly recommend the Cobra Alarm,pretty common Cat 1 alarm in mx5's.....350 fitted according to my receipt :)
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby Phil » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:12 pm

I just wire mine to the mains electricity, had no problems yet. :? Haven't seen the neighbours cat for a few nights though. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby Hardtrack » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:45 pm

Now now Phil :P ....u might upset some cat lovers :roll: ....personally i hate the things :x 8)
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby gm » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:29 pm

Wow, what a response ! Thanks you all for your input, you pretty much confirmed my decision to go for the cat 1 alarm. Just a matter of finding a spare ?350 lying down the back of the sofa (some chance, i raided the sofa for the insurance !)

Greg & Nic : You hit the nail right on the head. I picked up my little beauty at 11.30 this morning and despite having to spend a dull afternoon at work, still managed to put 90 miles on the clock. And every one of them with a big smile on my face.

Looking forward to many more.

Great forum - i've been 'eavesdropping' for a couple of weeks now
gm

Postby Phil » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:59 pm

Apologies, have just spotted the Cat. 8)
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Return to Technical