power steering belt - how do i get it off?

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

power steering belt - how do i get it off?

Postby ninja » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:24 pm

hi,

i don't know what happened but someone deleted my account and all my posts!!! i didn't contrivene any forum rules so what's going on???

anyway back to the matter in hand.

my previous post was regarding my alternator, the warning light keeps coming on. firstly i want to change the alternator belt and see if that's the problem. slackened the alternator and off pops the belt - easy peasy. but i can't get it off cos the power steering belt (guess) is in the way.

now the power steering thingy is at the start of it's adjustment - so i can't really slacken it anymore - but the belts still tight!!!!!

how do i get this this belt off?? have i missed a tensioning pully or something that's keeping it tight?

help!!

ninja :evil:
ninja

Postby graeme » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:57 pm

Sorry, can't help with the belt, but Si has posted elsewhere an apology for a boo-boo he made trying to get rid of spammers. In a US military-style "surgical strike" he took out a whole load of innocent vicitims too. Unlike the US military, he did at least get the right website. :lol:
graeme

Postby Si » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:02 pm

graeme wrote:Sorry, can't help with the belt, but Si has posted elsewhere an apology for a boo-boo he made trying to get rid of spammers. In a US military-style "surgical strike" he took out a whole load of innocent vicitims too. Unlike the US military, he did at least get the right website. :lol:

ROTFPMSL :D:D:D:D:D:D

Can't apologise enough for the anialition of your account ...... but hey, at least we know you're keen (you did re-register ;))

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby ninja » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:15 pm

i cut the belt off!!! :twisted:

wasn't my first choice but at least i've fitted the laternator belt now - just have to wait for my new power steering belt to turn up - should be tomorrow and then i'll try fitting it.

bit worried about fitting it really as - well the other one wouldn't come off! but i'll worry some more about it at the weekend. with any luck it'll just pop straight on! lol

ninja

Postby ninja » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:58 pm

well i managed to get the power steering belt back on - 6 skint knuckles tho! lol

put the car back together again and went for a test spin - fok!!!! the alternator's knackered - not jsut the belt. so several more skint knuckles later i've got the alternator sitting in front of me now - gonna try adn get a reconditioned one from lucas tomorrow....... :lol:

ninja

Return to Technical