Seat change...

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Seat change...

Postby Greg & Nic » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:57 pm

Just an idea I've had and wondered if anyone has tried this or heard of anyone who has??
My V-Specs tan leather seats are starting to show sings of wear just on the outer edges of the seat backs. It's not serious at the moment and nowhere near as bad as some I've seen.
Anyway, to try to halt the effects of this I wondered if it was possible to change the seat backs from side to side. ie the drivers side will become the passengers side and the worn areas will be less apparent as they'll be on the inside edges. It won't be possible to just swap the seats as the tilt and slide mechanisms etc needs to stay where they are.
It would be a case of removing the seat back from the base and transferring them to the base of the opposite seat.
So....has anyone attempted it or even know if it's possible???
91 BRG V Spec....The Wee Beastie
Greg & Nic

Postby mgrays » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:56 pm

You can change covers side to side I think .. sure I did this once and certain put my own leather cover set on.

Remove seats, remove back from base, remove loads of "hog-rings" with pliers .. remove covers and change.. replace hog-rings or cheat with tie wraps... best check first that there is not left/right side... sure I did this some 8 years ago!!
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby Greg & Nic » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:25 pm

I've discovered since posting this that the seat backs can't be swapped after all.
The idea above sounds like a lot of work and skint knuckles to me so I'll maybe give that a miss too.. :shock:
Think I'll scoot around one or two leather restorer type places and see if they can maybe get the seats back to 100%
Failing that I do like the seats in my brothers mk2.5 so I'll maybe see if someone has upgraded to sportier versions and try to get a second hand pair.
91 BRG V Spec....The Wee Beastie
Greg & Nic

Return to Technical