Electric Windows

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Electric Windows

Postby Phil » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:14 pm

I have recently fitted a new mechanism purchased from SFT, this uses a worm drive rather than the original cables. If anybody is thinking of fitting the same unit please contact me as the instructions are woefully inadequate. :oops: Even the photograph is misleading. :x

I think that when you have a bit of experience on this unit it is easier than trying to replace the cables which I've heard is a bit of a B***** to fit. :twisted:

At one stage I wondered if a chain saw would have been useful :?: :?: :?: Or possibly a blow torch.

However all is now well and if I needed to do the other door I could manage it a lot quicker :lol:
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby Richardn » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:02 am

I fitted 2 of these as they are in the Power windows kit, no problems. The instructions are only a simple diagram though.

Tend to agree just fitting a cable would be better. Why buy a new motor if the old one is OK?
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Stonehaven » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:20 pm

Are these worm drives servicable? The California I have bought has them - fitted by MacKay Mazda I believe. The drivers door one didn't work when I got the car - motor was running but no movement. I have now sorted it by pushing down on the window and lubricating the drive, but is still noisy and sounds like it could stick again.
Any suggestions?
Regards,
Mark
Mk3.5 RC Sport Tech and Range Rover TDV8 - back in a 5 after five years of Porsches - everyone should own a 911 at some point

past: 95 Mazdaspeed B Spec MS13, R Ltd, 96 Gleneagles, 91 1.6 (killed), 95 California x2, 90G 1.6 + 5 more 5s

OC Member 3068
Stonehaven

Postby Phil » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:26 pm

The worm drive is filled with grease when purchased, I would be suprised if it has gone dry. If new mechanisms have been fitted by a Mazda Dealer I would have thought they would have been Mazda Parts.

Only thing I can suggest is to remove the inner door panel, have a look and grease the runners etc. Try it with the door panel off and see if the noise persists. :shock:
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby Stonehaven » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:55 pm

Thanks for the help Phil. I have had the panel off already, that's how I manged to get it working again. Therworm drive isn't the Mazda kit, apparently MacKay has fitted such kits to many cars. I put the roof up tonight for the fisrt time since getting the window moving only to discover that there is a gap.
I don't suppose you still have your wind up gear? California's shouldn't have electric windows and my feeling at the moment is that manual is probably best.
I guess I will have to take the whole lot apart again and see what I can do, your instructions could be useful.
Regards,
Mark
Mk3.5 RC Sport Tech and Range Rover TDV8 - back in a 5 after five years of Porsches - everyone should own a 911 at some point

past: 95 Mazdaspeed B Spec MS13, R Ltd, 96 Gleneagles, 91 1.6 (killed), 95 California x2, 90G 1.6 + 5 more 5s

OC Member 3068
Stonehaven

Postby Phil » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:09 pm

Have sent you a PM. 8)
Phil

Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Return to Technical