Wheel Bearing

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Wheel Bearing

Postby Gordon » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:12 pm

Went to take my wife shopping in Livingston yesterday, made it just past Galston and the front wheel bearing went West :cry:
The good news is that the RAC were very efficient in organising a lift back to Troon.
Is it a big DIY job to replace this?
Is it worth doing both front wheels just in case?

Even if it works out quite dear, it'll still be cheaper than taking Janice to Macarthur Glen :twisted:
--
Gordon
Previously Kermit, Classic Red NA
Now Bottom, Blue NB RS Ltd
Gordon

Postby mgrays » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:05 pm

Front wheel bearings I guess...

Easy job if you have a 3/4" socket set.. about a 27mm socket or something.. first unsteg the locking tube on the nut - an old screwdriver worked for me.. drive it down between raise locking tube and the axle to unlock the nut .. after removing dust cap. Oh and remove front caliper and don't dangle on the hose. Not sure what torque to do it up to but not too important as double ball roller bearings so not sensitive.. so snug.

However if no 3/4" socket set then you need the right 1/2" socket and hope/faith in the strength of your T bar.. need 2-3' tube etc. Cheaper getting a Cheapo 3/4" socket set as you will use it every now and then.

20-30 min work for a garage .. so that maybe cheaper.

Tend to kill the passenger front first as it runs in the gutter - more dirt, potholes and roundabout lean on it. Drivers side will go in say 20-30k miles more but peace of mind may make it worth while. I did only my passenger side as it had a little wobble .. guess I have the old one lying around Aberdeen/Stonehaven if it really is a cash thing that would do 20-30k miles still.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby Gordon » Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:05 pm

It turned out to be the front driver's side bearing. My local garage repaired it for less than 60 quid, so it wasn't too bad on the whole.
:D
--
Gordon
Previously Kermit, Classic Red NA
Now Bottom, Blue NB RS Ltd
Gordon

Return to Technical