Info needed - Mk1 tombstone centre console differences

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Info needed - Mk1 tombstone centre console differences

Postby chillax » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:07 pm

I've noticed some mx5's (Eunos) tombstones are different. There seems to be one that has a recessed radio hole (so radio sits flush with dash), and others where the radio (single din) sits proud/sticks out from dash (same as my 97 UK MX-5.

What models had the recessed version? I've seen it on a 97 SR ltd Eunos (see white one for sale on mx5city) Was the the only one that had it? VR's etc don't seem to have it.

I'd really like to change mine to the SR recessed one if possible as prefer the radio sitting flush with the dash. Tried finding one on eBay but no luck so far.
chillax

Re: Info needed - Mk1 tombstone centre console differences

Postby drumtochty » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:13 pm

You have bumped into SAZ on the OC forum his head is full of loads of minor details about the Mk1,
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby chillax » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:56 pm

Saz was first to answer mate. He posted a link to a topic where a guy had made a custom install using a retro radio (looks old, but has DAB, usb etc.) Think I'm going to have a go at something similar! Looks sweet!
chillax

Postby gm » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:07 pm

what you might have seen is two different ways of fitting the head unit - the radio cage can be attached to the tombstone panel or brackets can be fitted to the sides of the radio (no cage) which attaches to the uprights that hold the heater panel in place, so the radio is fixed before you fit the tombstone.

or it may have been a us spec (miata) tombstone which is slightly different, the pop up / hazard buttons are in the same place but flush rather than with the oval surround bit.

I've got radio brackets spare if you want to have a go fitting the radio recessed
gm

Postby chillax » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:17 pm

gm wrote:what you might have seen is two different ways of fitting the head unit - the radio cage can be attached to the tombstone panel or brackets can be fitted to the sides of the radio (no cage) which attaches to the uprights that hold the heater panel in place, so the radio is fixed before you fit the tombstone.

or it may have been a us spec (miata) tombstone which is slightly different, the pop up / hazard buttons are in the same place but flush rather than with the oval surround bit.

I've got radio brackets spare if you want to have a go fitting the radio recessed

Deffo interested in the brackets mate, how much do you want for them?
chillax

Postby gm » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:22 am

I wouldn't be wanting anything for them, I'll dig them out of the garage at the weekend and let you know.
gm

Postby chillax » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:33 pm

gm wrote:I wouldn't be wanting anything for them, I'll dig them out of the garage at the weekend and let you know.

Thanks mate! That would be amazing! Hoping to make a nice custom install where everything sits nice and flush with the dash 8)
chillax

Postby gm » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:54 pm

your brackets are on their way.

this is what the interior of my current mx5 looked like when I bought it

and this is what it looks like now

yes, that is the same car :)

the armrest section is gone completely, all of the wiring re-run, window switches relocated to the tombstone and sticky back neoprene used to cover the tunnel. the gear stick is standard but painted black and a fancy shift boot cover off eBay fitted. the bottom of the tombstone was cut flush and a plastic panel covered in the same neoprene fitted over the gaps at the bottom. I ditched all of the carpets, swapped the crash pads for some black ones, rattle canned the lower dash and bought a set of rs-limited doorcards. the door pulls are the type of handles usually fitted to guitar amplifiers, the original chunky handles got in the way of the bucket seats.

the steering wheel is an eBay special, I've had it fitted to at least four different mx5s, at 320mm it's the perfect size for me. I sold the wooden Nardi wheel to a chap in Italy which paid for all of the other interior mods (I already had the roll bar and seats)
gm

Postby gm » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:55 pm

duplicate post :(
gm

Postby chillax » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:15 pm

Wow, that's some transformation mate! Bet those seats are comfy. Really like the wheel, is it the momo race? I had the race years ago, great bit of kit. Genius using the handles from guitar amps! They look trick! 8)
chillax

Postby gm » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:29 pm

comfy is probably the last word I would use to describe those seats :)

they're fantastic when 'pressing on' and up at knockhill on trackdays but when I recently had to use the car to commute, I was glad it was only for a week. lowered suspension, buckets seats, track tyres and the state of Edinburghs roads are not a winning combination. although I did arrive earlier than usual for some reason.

I did have a momo race wheel but prefer my cheap eBay copy, it's only slightly smaller at 320mm vs 330mm but just feels 'right', looks pretty cool, too :)
gm

Postby chillax » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:34 pm

Deffo looks cool that wheel. Totally agree about the roads in Edinburgh mate, it was those roads that are us make the decision to trade in my civic TypeR fn2! We had been into the centre to drop my sis off at train station, and came home via the pleasance (,don't know why it's called that, the state of the roads it should be called the unpleasant!) The two of us were cringing and bracing ourselves over every bump and pot hole. The 19" optional alloys made things even worse! Traded the car in on the way home for my mini cooper!!!!!! Lol
My mx5 is also shocking over even the slightest bump in the road, but it's due to the suspension being totally shot. Will be fine once replaced (we hope!)
chillax

Postby chillax » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:41 pm

Massive thanks to gm for the brackets, got them today mate! Looking forward to doing this mod and seeing the radio sitting flush in the dash. Just my OCD again lol :lol:
chillax

Postby gm » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:20 am

no worries, make sure to take pics so we can see what you are up to :)
gm

Postby chillax » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:35 am

gm wrote:no worries, make sure to take pics so we can see what you are up to :)

Deffo mate! :D will also be making a start on the tombstone seats soon too, getting the bases swapped over and the covers cleaned ready for fitting into Mindy 8)
chillax

Postby OldSpice » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:00 am

There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public
OldSpice

Postby chillax » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:24 pm

OldSpice wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjUqfaP8YDfAhVO0RoKHc6rCaoQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cultofmac.com%2F318267%2Fsarcastic-ai-carrot-apps-brian-mueller%2F&psig=AOvVaw1n5_I0ROqsPzN9PUMDjE_M&ust=1543830998698424
Always watching Dave...... :shock:

Eh? link takes me to a page where there's an app about burning calories? lol I find just waking up in the morning is enough of a calorie burner for me! :lol:
chillax

Postby OldSpice » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:00 pm

Ooopsies!
It was only supposed to be HAL.
At least you got a fitness regime chucked in! :lol:
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public
OldSpice

Postby chillax » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:14 pm

:lol:
chillax

Postby bmv6197 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:33 pm

For what it’s worth I had a similar issue - wanted a new head unit that was visually in keeping with my stock 1995 interior, didn’t want it to stick out much from the tombstone, and wanted to avoid blingy, flashy units. Found out by getting a Blaupunkt unit with Bluetooth that I could have all those things in one - the unit’s faceplate is far more flush than the Puoneer unit it replaced and the recess on the main body of the unit goes a few mm deeper too, meaning it only sits about 4mm out from the tombstone. Also ran the usb connector from the back of the unit under the centre console and into the armrest cubby, to allow for charging etc. Just another possible idea for you to add to your considerations!

Cheers,
Brad.
Last edited by bmv6197 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

Next

Return to Technical