Immobiliser

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Immobiliser

Postby moodindigo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:29 pm

The immobiliser light is on, the engine turns over but will not start. Can you disconnect the immobiliser ? If you get a new immobiliser am I right in saying it needs to be programmed to match the key switch,keys and ECU. Had the problem before and disconnected the ECU plugs and put them back in again and the engine fired up but not this time.
Any suggestions how to overcome the problem ?
Thanks

Stewart
moodindigo

Re: Immobiliser

Postby drumtochty » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:39 pm

If the immobiliser is faulty you know what you have to do! Are you getting any error codes if you use an ODB2 reader. £10 to £15 on ebay and cheaper than getting a garage to run their scanner on the car. On that car did the immobiliser light always stay on while starting until it actually started.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby moodindigo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:35 pm

No the light went out when starting. Now the starter is turning and the light is still lit and the engine won't start
moodindigo

Postby drumtochty » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:30 am

At the price of an ODB2 code reader, I would buy one first and look for a fault code.

Then if that takes you no further, I would phone this guy who does lots of ECU replacement sets and talk him through your problem as there are a few wrinkles with the MK2.5.

http://www.mx5bitz.co.uk/mx5/store.php?cat_id=53

In saying that before you phone him lift the passenger carpet, dremmel off the two security bolts on the ecu cover and report if it is wet in there.

Take the big number off the ECU as the above guy will need that info to advise on what you need.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Technical