1999 Mk2 Diagnostic Box

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

1999 Mk2 Diagnostic Box

Postby drewj » Sun May 01, 2016 11:25 am

Hi

Just had MOT done passed but exhaust emissions a bit high as an advisory.

Bought an Autolink LED cable connected as advised but does not light up (also reversed polarity - nothing)

Checked with a battery LED is OK.

Could there be a faulty relay (when you bridge no relay click) or fuse to the diagnostic box or is there something else to look for.

If it is a fuse or relay which one.

Thanks

Cheers
Drew
drewj

Re: 1999 Mk2 Diagnostic Box

Postby drumtochty » Sun May 01, 2016 5:00 pm

Yes at that age the cat is getting towards the end of it's useful life especially if the coil packs have failed in the past as they would put unburned fuel on the cat.

Are you also putting in the shorting link when you do the diagnostics.

Do you have one person switching on the ignition and the other at the diagnostic box to check for the one long flash to say the ecu is starting the display process.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Sun May 01, 2016 5:03 pm

drewj wrote:.

Could there be a faulty relay (when you bridge no relay click) or fuse to the diagnostic box or is there something else to look for.

Thanks

Cheers
Drew

Can you provide a link to which relay is supposed to be clicking or where you have read about the relay and the click??????????????????????????????????????????????????
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Sun May 01, 2016 5:34 pm

Without the led in place or the shorting link.

Run the engine at tickover and put a multimeter between the battery terminals with the DC voltage setting what voltage do you get without any lights or rear window heater or blower on.

Get someone to run it at say 2000 rpm and again what voltage do you get.

Lift the passenger side carpet and at the front firewall where the passengers feet would be, you should see a sheet metal cover, underneath that is the ECU.

Is there any water there or are there rust stains on the sheet metal or the wiring connector.

When was the last time the cabin drains behind the seatbelt towers were cleared.

There are eight further drains in front of and behind each jacking point one at each corner that need cleared with a very slim screwdriver are they clear and is there no water trapped there.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drewj » Mon May 02, 2016 2:30 pm

Hi

Yes we had one switching the ignition and one looking at the LED we were bridging but getting nothing.
Next weekend I will do some of the checks and report back.

The relay or fuse was just a suggestion hadn't seen it anywhere.

My Son has my multi meter when I get it back I will check the DC at tickover and 2000 revs.

I will also check the ecu for any moisture.

Thanks for your help.
drewj

Return to Technical