MX-5 Hood Edinburgh

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

MX-5 Hood Edinburgh

Postby scotia_steve74 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:25 pm

So, just picked up my second Mk1 having regretted selling my first, and it's great aside from the rear screen is cracked.

I'd like a new hood, and can buy them on Ebay but fitting does concern me a bit - it looks a little complex and I don't have a garage.

Can anyone recommend a fitter near to Edinburgh (can travel), and would you go for glass or vinyl? I intend keeping the car longer term as it's a good 'un.

Cheers

Steve
scotia_steve74

Re: MX-5 Hood Edinburgh

Postby 71NotOut » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:54 pm

Try Willie Ramsay Coachtrimmers in Loanhead, near Ikea.
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby scotia_steve74 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:17 pm

Thanks just tried he is very busy right now.
scotia_steve74

Postby 71NotOut » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:49 am

Then try Steve at Goodwood Sportscars in Berwick.

As for which one to go for - I went for Mohair with a glass window when I bought my car from Steve (new hood, refurbed interior, etc was part of the agreement) but in hindsight, I wish I had gone for the option of being able to zip out the rear window!

I would probably go for a tan vinyl one with zip-out window if I had to change it today.
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby scotia_steve74 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:59 am

I'm thinking pvc window and vinyl to keep it stock looking? I wonder if I should try to fit myself :-)
scotia_steve74

Postby gm » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:55 pm

diy fitting is possible, there are some good guides to read / view. I've done 3 myself, each time I swear i'll pay someone to do it next time. if you are going for plastic window, make sure it has the zip, the window will eventually wear and crack on a non zip hood. mohair is good if the car can live in a garage, vinyl is better for an outdoor car.
gm

Postby mgrays » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:08 pm

You could get zip out glass windows .. I have my old one hanging about. It was a 2CV glass! That way you get clear rear vision in the wet and the sun shade in the heat.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby FrankHoney » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:14 pm

I wouldn't bother with Goodwood Sports cars.
I phoned Steve Bloxham on the 24th of March. Asked if he still fitted hoods as that section on his website was missing. He said he didn't do them anymore because he was fitting four or five a week and it was too much. I told him no problem I will find someone. He then said he would fit the hood.
He said he would send me a form via E mail that day and I should fill it in and return it with £100 deposit.
He would then order the hood and when it arrived would phone me to arrange a fitting date.
The next day I E mailed him to gently remind him about the form. He sent it that day and I immediately filled it out, sent it back, with a note to say I'd payed the £100 via PayPal as he asked.
On the 4th of April after phoning a number of times I E mailed him asking if we were any further forward. No reply.
I phoned him on the 11th April (after a number of tries) and managed to speak with him. He said he was waiting for a shipment of hoods and would phone me within the week. I contacted three companies, two said I could take delivery of a hood within three days, the other said next day delivery if I ordered before 3pm.
In total I phoned him twenty two times, leaving four messages to no avail. He never once returned any of my calls.
Finally I E mailed him on the 25th (Monday), asking him to return my deposit as I felt he had wasted a month of my time.
The money arrived an hour ago via PayPal.
Seems to me to be a very poor way to run a business.
Frank.
FrankHoney

Postby iain cooper » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:03 am

sounds like a company to avoid.

could you imagine if you went ahead and got him to fit it and there were some issues to fix !!

think you had a lucky escape there.

Iain
iain cooper

Postby OldSpice » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:13 am

FrankHoney wrote:I wouldn't bother with Goodwood Sports cars.

He said he was waiting for a shipment of hoods and would phone me within the week.
Frank.

:roll:
He does not do hoods anymore..but is "waiting for a shipment" :?
I'd (sadly) concur with thinking twice after viewing incontrovertable (and producible) evidence of what happened with an import suffered by a personal friend...after years of recommendation as a benchmark company.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby izzy » Sun May 01, 2016 8:05 am

Hi Guys
I very surprised about the comments regarding Steve at Goodwood Cars.
I have had 2 hoods fitted by Steve the last one a Mohair roof with glass window both times the service has been excellent .
Paid my deposit,arranged fitting date traveled down from Inverness , dropped car off 3 hrs later I was on the road again with a nice new hood fitted.
I just can't fault the Service we recieved.
However considering how well and how busy he is importing and selling imaculate MX5 from Japan I am surprised he is still fitting Hoods!
izzy
OC Member
ali & mandy Locke
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby scotia_steve74 » Sun May 01, 2016 8:11 am

So I found a solution......

https://goo.gl/photos/4uyQRut8CwWnbdTM6

I went to You Pull It in Inverkeithing. They had an untouched Mk2.5, with good seats and a good canvas hood with glass window.

Result!

For info they have good wheels and other bits on the car, original stereo and steering wheel etc - paid £90 for the roof, seats and a few other bits.

Took me an hour to remove, couple of hours to fit.

Tested for leaks - perfect.

Big tip, when removing plastic clips (button) use a crowbar - nail part, works a treat and didn't break one!
scotia_steve74

Postby FrankHoney » Tue May 10, 2016 5:23 pm

Hi Steve
Glad you got sorted with your hood. I ordered a Vinyl with plastic zip out window as per OEM from Car Hood Warehouse. Cost £177+£10 for delivery. Took me 3 hours to get the old one off ( left the frame on the car ) and 2 hours to fit the new one. Very straightforward and relatively easy to fit.
Frank
FrankHoney

Return to Technical