Transmission Fluid Separation

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Transmission Fluid Separation

Postby IanH » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:37 pm

ND transmission issues rumble on in the US, apparently there is some acknowledgement by Mazda of an issue of some kind.... :shock:

This thread may be related or not, posts 219 and particularly the pictures linked in post 220 suggest fluid layering from what has allegedly been drained from a gearbox, anyone have views on what this may or may not be?

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=596994&page=9
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Re: Transmission Fluid Separation

Postby drumtochty » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:23 pm

It's either a lubrication failure maybe due to production variances of the brew between batches or a mechanical problem caused by components that may be out of specification between batches.

Mk3 engine failures have never been explained by Mazda and some early MK2 cars with 6MT had failures.

I think it is the number of people on line that is maybe making something too big out of it.

Mazda will correct faulty gearboxes.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Transmission Fluid Separation

Postby mgrays » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:26 pm

My take would be moisture is condensating into oil and mayo'ing it. Oil floats on water/mayo so that the oil is floating on the mayonnaise as in the photo.

Some oils can carry more water than others.. and Mazda must have a low water tolerance oil/additive package. I wonder what the humidity/climate was for the cars.. so if desert cars do not get it, race cars/cars with a lot of heat input into gearbox do not get it... the humidity in USA can be very high and short journeys would help the condensation .. plus winter is bad for cycling at/near freezing when a lot of humidity regularly drops out of the atmosphere. Get gearbox very hot to drive the moisture out...

I have been trying to get a high water tolerance gearbox oil for a storage project .. hard to find what you can get but I have read some Universal farm oils will take water loads of 30% whereas some very rapidly saturate and the water then can form Mayo.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Return to Technical