Fail to start

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Re: Fail to start

Postby Mac1508 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:44 am

Murphey is someone i have had to get used to over the years haha.

If i could afford i would be doing a lot more to the poor girl, for now, i just need her running. Then its break pads and disks, then wishbones...speaking of which if you guys can point me in the direction of good front lower wishbones id be appreciative...like bloody hens teeth.

Then its anti-roll bars front and back, CV joints, Drop links, all the bushes..........Ah yes how could i forget the rear Sills need some love, they were "REPAIRED" but someone quite ham fisted with a welder :lol:

And finally, body panels, rust is having its way with her im afraid.
Mac1508

Postby drumtochty » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:52 am

99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Mac1508 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:41 am

Oh snap,

Well you certainly delivered haha may get them done sooner than i thought.

Thanks again guys.
Mac1508

Postby Mac1508 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:12 pm

Hi guys, sorry i must call upon the group again so soon,

Anyone got any tips in removing the crankshaft pully bolt, i dont have the means to "create something to hold it" as the haynes manual depicts.
Mac1508

Postby gm » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:31 pm

I have two types of crank tool - you are welcome to borrow one or the other (I've not used either of them yet but I like to be prepared)

Edit : just seen you're not exactly local, although I could bung the small one in the post if you can wait ?
gm

Postby drumtochty » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:54 pm

Get someone to stand on the brake pedal with the car in top gear.

Use a breaker bar with a scaffold pole extension and that should do the trick.

After that there are other ways to do, but takeing the four 10mm af bots out the crank pully in most cases is no use as the pully is rusted to the backplate but you may be lucky. I have had two Mk2's that the pulley was rusted to the backplate.

My wissy gun was not up to it.

Get back if that does not work as you then need a locking tool.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:29 pm

As the MK1 does bot have trigger plate on the back of the pulley the back plate on the MK1 may not rust to the pulley.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Mac1508 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:34 pm

Ah GM the offer is sorely appreciated, took a look around, and essentially as Eddie said, high gear hand break on and whack it with extension bar.

Got it all sorted and replaced, car is running better than ever.....soo chuffed. Your guys help was really appreciated thanks guys.

Happy Mac :D
Mac1508

Postby tracy primrose » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:11 pm

I had one of these little bolts come loose, too, after fitting a timing belt.

Fair chuffed with myself, I was, after doing a timing belt (no less!). Off I went for a drive, a few miles later accelerating hard up a hill, and POP! Car veered off to the right, and I thought, "Oh, oh!"

Took it easy going home and everything seemed alright, but took everything apart to check, and right enough, a bolt had come out and there it was, a big chunk out of the timing belt. Wouldn't have been long 'til it snapped.

Anyway, changed the belt over again - probably took half the time, second time round (I won't tell you about the first "first" time when I put the head gasket in the wrong way round. I know, I know! I don't know either. :oops: )

So, yes, be careful with the cover plate bolts. I was very thorough - not having a clue what I was doing, lol - and was armed with yet another new toy, a torque wrench.

Fun times.
tracy primrose

Postby Mac1508 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:36 am

I was unlucky, the bolt jammed in the housing. But also quite lucky i guess haha.

Yeah we live and learn, took a while for me and my mate to change the belt n all. But was good fun and now she runs so much better :) also changed the ignition coils as we believed that was the issue.
Mac1508

Previous

Return to Technical