Buying guide Mk3 NC

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Buying guide Mk3 NC

Postby Alec » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:56 am

I'm thinking of replacing my Mk 2.5 Phoenix with an early MK3 NC 2.0 preferably a sport. I'd appreciate any pointers as to what to look out for and how much I should be paying.
Mk2.5 Phoenix
MK3.5 Kendo BBR
Alec

Re: Buying guide Mk3 NC

Postby OldSpice » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:48 pm

Endless possibilities really. I was looking recently but gave up and decided to put our 2002 Sport in for an extensive make-over instead now it's "retired" pleasure & domestic use only.
Hoe long is this piece of string?
Depending on age, mileage, body condition, & service history (which you can check at a dealer with these cars if they have been FDSH'd due to the so -called digital records ) I've seen decent ones for around 4k, to 6.5k+ for really good mint "known" cars eg club registered and I don't just mean this "club".
In absolute terms, it'll be "old-ish" so the usual multiple caveat emptors of any used multi-owned cars of rot (oh yes they do!), engine rumbles, front screen leaks, damp carpet evidence, brake calipers ( especially rear ones), broken ARB drop mounts...common enough... uneven tyre wear, wear and tear on seat side bolsters, rot around wing indicators, cruddy chassis & suspension components, excessive paint chipping thanks to Mazda's dreadful paint quality, but especially check for rot beneath the plastic side skirts at the rear. I've seen, so far, two you could poke a plastic pen through. Avid M3 diehards might tut tut at this claim, but I was not alone. :wink:
Any apparent engine worries..excessive tapping or low decibel rumbles..walk away. Mk3/Mk3.5 mills are much more expensive to fix than your current chariot.
Scotty Doug's, in my opinion, is pretty typical of a "safer bet". And, no, I don't know him...it just looks like an honest & solid car at a decent wedge.

Hope this helps.
Best regards.

"The Grim Reaper of Mazda Rot" :lol:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:10 pm

OldSpice wrote:Depending on age, mileage, body condition, & service history (which you can check at a dealer with these cars if they have been FDSH'd due to the so -called digital records )
"The Grim Reaper of Mazda Rot" :lol:

For information on the Mazda Digital Service record this can be up dated in 4 ways.

1 By the Mazda servicing dealer.
2 By a Mazda approved service agent when they service the car.
3 By an independent servicing garage who have registered at no cost and easy to do with Mazda to access the DSR.
4 If an owner has their car serviced at a garage that does not have this access, the owner can send a copy of the service receipt to Mazda UK and they will update the record for you.

I do not believe any Mk2.5, Mk2 or Mk1 cars are populated on the DSR database but they will go back a good bit and I believe they will put a Mk2 on the DSR but it will not have the historical service information on it.

Additional info from the Mazda web site

Any car made after 1 December 1997 can be added to the DSR but with no historical service info will be available, therefore there will be a few Mk1's posssible there as the factory started Mk2 production in March 1998.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:30 pm

Thanks as ever Eddie. Very useful to know.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Return to Technical