Oxygen sensor

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Oxygen sensor

Postby Ian M » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:09 pm

Hi, Ive not been on the forum for ages as everything has been great with the car. My engine managment light came on last week so took it to local friendly garage to run a diagnostic test, turns out the problem is and I quote ' incorrect operation of front oxygen sensor heater element'! They quoted me in excess of £500 to replace with dealer sourced part. I understand MX5 parts do one for about £80 but garage dint think this would be ok when the car is due for next MOT as the ECU would not show correct reading and could fail on emmision test. Can anyone through any light on this please? Happy to give it a go with aftermarket part and fit it myself if i know where to find it?
Just realised I didnt put what model the car is its a MK3 reg 2006
Ian M
OC Member
Ian Merriman
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Oxygen sensor

Postby drumtochty » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:47 pm

To be honest Ian the reason your local garage goes to the Mazda dealer and pays their prices for parts is to get some technical support.

You do not have a code reader and you don't know where the physical part is located.

According to Mazda you need a special tool to remove the sensor and they can sieze in place.

Why not have a go at finding it between the exhaust manifold and the cat and see if you can loosen it.

If so then you can buy one from MX5 parts fit it and then buy a code reader and switch off the warning light.

I have never had that problem so cannot advise if it is easy to get to or not.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Ian M » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:57 pm

Thanks for that, I may well take your advice. since posting I have found a secondhand one on autolink at £75 they claim its been tested and is mazda part? Any Idea how much a reader is?
Ian M
OC Member
Ian Merriman
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby marshall » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:46 pm

I have changed oxygen sensor it is difficult to access I have proper tool which was just as well as was seized , also I have code reader so was able to clear used mx5 parts sensor and passed 2 mot's no problem
marshall
OC Member
Marshall Pirrie
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby joeytalent » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:04 pm

Ian M wrote:Thanks for that, I may well take your advice. since posting I have found a secondhand one on autolink at £75 they claim its been tested and is mazda part? Any Idea how much a reader is?

I picked up a USB reader for less than £10 on eBay which came with software to install on a laptop. Modern cars should all use the same standard, so you don't need a Mazda specific one.

I used it for clearing the O2 fault codes on my garage buddy's 350z for his MOT with no problems.
joeytalent

Postby Ian M » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:45 pm

Thanks guys thats all really helpful.
Ian M
OC Member
Ian Merriman
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Technical