Have you checked your oil recently...

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Have you checked your oil recently...

Postby IanH » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:48 pm

IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Re: Have you checked your oil recently...

Postby drumtochty » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:46 pm

Yes the message seems to be to check the oil on your Mk3 weekly but there have been similar failure with cars that had plenty oil.

I believe that the Mk3.5 which has modification to both the gearbox and engine construction has a much lower level of failures
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Macscorcher » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:33 pm

Scary stuff indeed ! Dosent help that the mk3 dipstick seems very difficult to accurately read !

Or at least it does to this dipstick ! Lol

Bob
Macscorcher

Postby IanH » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:53 pm

drumtochty wrote:Yes the message seems to be to check the oil on your Mk3 weekly but there have been similar failure with cars that had plenty oil.

I believe that the Mk3.5 which has modification to both the gearbox and engine construction has a much lower level of failures

That's good.... :shock:

Whilst I still have one... :lol:
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby drumtochty » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:07 pm

The 3.75 dispstick is an improvement for visability but the same Mazda parts number.

MX5parts had no stock of the older dipstick so their stock is now the easier to read dipstick but it is a bit expensive
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby CaptainNorth » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:04 am

I was advised by BBR that there is no need to keep the MK 3 engine brimmed ; it just needs some oil ...like any other engine .... Then warm it up before you thrash it. :-)

Hoping mine explodes: seems a good opportunity to get a 3.75 engine and a turbo ;:-)
NC1 BBR Super 200
Citroen C1 - 68HP of raw power
CaptainNorth

Postby drumtochty » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:33 am

It would appear from reports on Miata.net that Mazda when they repaired Mk3 engines used various con rods or crankshafts not from a specific year's production.

That suggest to me that Mazda did not "fix" whatever fault was there during the Mk3.0 production run.

I too while allways keeping an eye on my MK3''s oil level have a problem with the oil level must be to the max level on the dipstick theory.

There are various modern BMW, VW and Audi engines having engine failure due to timing chain, oil pump drive and timing belt failures that thes manufacturers do not repair outside warranty and even inside the warranty period short of threats of legal action.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Technical