Water Ingress

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Water Ingress

Postby BigAndy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:06 pm

Just noticed I posted this in the wrong section :oops: :oops: :oops: .Hi, over the past couple of weeks the floor on my MK2 has been getting wet when we have heavy rain(even if the car is not being used. The rear drain holes are clear.
I don't know if replacing the "roof to door seals" would help or if maybe my roof has shrunk. There are no visible damage on the roof itself. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

BigAndy

Private messageE-mail BigAndy
BigAndy

Re: Water Ingress

Postby joeytalent » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:44 pm

You can try and rejuvenate the seals by stuffing them with foam, but sadly in my experience, once the roof starts shrinking you're eventually just going to have to replace it.

However, it's always worth checking the plastic "nipples" on the roof catches (http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/index.php/m ... g-soft-top) first, as they're an easy fix.
joeytalent

Postby BigAndy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:10 pm

Hi joeytalent thanks for your reply. I found 4 of the 8 drain holes in the sills, 1 at each jacking point, stuck a small flat headed screwdriver driver up the hole and a few pints of water came out each one. Hopefully this will rectify my problem.
Cheers
Andy
BigAndy

Postby OldSpice » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:50 am

Check your ECU (buried in the passenger footwell) has not been soaked.
If the carpet around it is even damp, get it out and pop it in a drying cupboard overnight and get the carpet bone dry again.
Absolutely the last thing you want.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby BigAndy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:25 am

Thanks Oldspice, is it straightforward enough to remove and replace the ECU once the carpet has been lifted? I don't have any mechanical or auto electrical knowledge.

Andy
BigAndy

Postby drumtochty » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:29 am

There are two round security bolts that you need a dremmel to cut them off then replace with two M6 10mm long bolts.

That lets you see the ECU which is the larger of the two items if the car has ABS.

If it is wet you need to disconnect the battery and remove it. Dry and clean the connectors.

Replace and connect the ecu and connect the battery.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Technical