Dim headlight

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Dim headlight

Postby Ginger Nuts » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:38 pm

Afternoon all, just carried out flash to pass mod which works great and noticed that my passenger headlight bulb is slow to illuminate and only reaches a dim yellow colour compared to crisp bright drivers side. I've recently swapped the bulbs with new ones so I put the old bulb back in with the same result.

I don't know if it has always been like this as I've never driven in darkness yet, can't be a fuse because the bulb is getting power to it although it seems starved of juice.

It doesn't get any brighter when I put main beam on either.

Anyone got any ideas?

I'm off to work in a moment so I'll poke around the fuses tomorrow just to tick them off the list and check back to see if any of you have suggestions.

Cheers,
Al.
Ginger Nuts

Re: Dim headlight

Postby liathach » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:51 pm

Most likely a poor earth return on that particular headlamp. Either follow the earth wire and clean the area where it is bolted to the bodywork or run a new earth wire to a suitable point.
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby Ginger Nuts » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:04 pm

Thanks for quick response guys, job for tomorrow - check earth and plug. Never even thought about the earth return, hopefully that'll be the cause.
Ginger Nuts

Postby Ginger Nuts » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:49 pm

Quick update, all sorted - it was indeed a dodgy earth (someone had been a bit over zealous with hammerite and got a blob on the earth block) :oops:

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, I love forums me! :mrgreen:
Ginger Nuts

Return to Technical