Mk1 Hood and Frame

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Mk1 Hood and Frame

Postby Ginger Nuts » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:44 pm

I'm picking up a second hand vinyl hood and frame this Saturday which is in far better nick than mine - i.e. no splits/clear window and not faded.
Question is, as the hood is on the frame already, what is involved in swapping them over and roughly how long should I allow for the job?
Am I right in saying that I need to remove my seats, roll bars and rear carpet?
If so - I think I'll try and tackle that this week to buy me some time as I'm aiming to go to the Tech Day at Sterling Mills on Sunday. :D

Cheers,
Al.
Ginger Nuts

Re: Mk1 Hood and Frame

Postby gm » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:59 pm

it's easy enough with basic tools but allow a good 3 hours and have a contingency plan in case of rain :) seats out make for better access, the roll bar shouldn't be too much of an issue. take off your aerial mast and put a thick rug or towel over the boot lid to avoid scratching it as the frame is a bulky thing to handle on your own. you need to remove the plastic seatbelt trims to get to the fixing bolts.
gm

Postby Ginger Nuts » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:10 pm

Cheers, have been to Halfords and bought the obligatory Haynes manual then stood staring at the hood with a brew. Think I know what's going on - leaving the seats in and going to go for it Saturday afternoon just in case there is an issue with the new one.

Hopefully have it all done by Saturday night and make it to Sterling Mills without the need for a brolly!
Ginger Nuts

Postby ruggiebloke » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:55 pm

ruggiebloke

Postby Ginger Nuts » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:51 am

That's an awsome write up, thanks for the link ruggiebloke. :D
Ginger Nuts

Postby joeytalent » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:52 pm

Seats are only four bolts each. You'll find it so much easier without them, I promise :)
joeytalent

Postby drumtochty » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:33 pm

Get someone to help lift out and lift in.

The rest of the time it is difficult with two in there.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby monikieman » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:03 am

Have a good look at the rain rail when it's out. Mine had several 'spare' holes from previous soft top fittings (I don't know why, but it did, believe me!)

I would gaffer tape the holes and fill the spare ones with tiger seal or something similar. I also put gaffer tape over the holes that I needed and pushed the bolts through oto (attempt) to make a waterproof washer of types.

Someone else might have a better idea but after the 'new' soft top was off and on more than a.................................. it was time to try something.

It seems to have worked with no water pouring in through the rain rail. It's just a bit plastic but sit down if you go to lok at the price of one :oops:
monikieman

Postby Ginger Nuts » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:30 pm

Thanks for info guys, I'm recruiting the wife to help lift it off and on, and luckily the car sits in my garage (just!) so rain showers aint much of an issue - sounds like I should allow myself a fair chunk of time to do this as I'd like to have a good clean up / poke around once I get it off - ooh err missus :shock:
Ginger Nuts

Postby gm » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:46 am

well, is it fixed ? how did you get on ?
gm

Postby Ginger Nuts » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:43 am

Yep, all done and given a clean up with Renovo last night (other cleaners are available). :)
Cleaned out the drain holes while everything was stripped off, amazingly no standing water and looking good. Took a little over 3hrs for the whole job and very pleased with result.
May need to back off the nuts on the rain rail and re-tighten in correct order as the roof seems a bit more taught at the centre of the window and I'm not sure it is exactly how it should be.
All in all though, a good days work and had a couple of cold ones as a well earned reward!
Hoping for a bit of sun now for my run through to Tech Day. :D
Ginger Nuts

Return to Technical