Mk3 Centre Section Fracture

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Mk3 Centre Section Fracture

Postby drumtochty » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:54 pm

A few weeks ago on one of the Grampian runs Stuart's 2007 Mk3 started getting noisy.

I managed to rig a tin can repair but we got it virtually sorted today.

The first picture shows the parts with the old centre section on the right.

This show a better view of the fracture.

The main problem we had was the silencer has studs welded to it's flange and the nuts on the centre section side have disintegarated and welded themselves to the silencer studs.

I took the grinder to the old mid section flange but we were making litle progress so we used one of the "stock" Mk3.5 silencers at Drumtochty from previous Cobra replacements in the interm.

Putting the system back on was easy.

Then we changed the brake fluid but managed to trap some air in the drivers side rear caliper but that was an easy fix.

Then a gearbox and diff oil change.

A replacement air filter that confused us as the directions on the filter element about which side went to the front were 100% wrong.

These things are sent to try us.

Oh and £700 for the centre section.

Now for those who have visited Drumtochty before the lunch was Tuna rolls with a touch of exhaust paste which is my standard creation but that crawler Duncan brough Joan flowers and all of a sudden scones were made. Aye, not by me!

Strange!!!!!!!!!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Mk3 Centre Section Fracture

Postby liathach » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:29 am

I hate exhausts! The heat-welded nuts are always incredibly difficult to remove.
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby DTB » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:36 pm

£700 for the centre section :shock: I take it the cat at the front end is inseparable. Painful that a fracture so near the rear of the section mean buying the expensive cat as well.
DTB

Postby drumtochty » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:36 pm

No the main cat with the oxy sensor is connected to the downpipe.

The centre section as you see has two boxes and I guess one is a secondary cat.

If the main cat is gone it is the same again from Mazda £700. The rear box circa £400.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby liathach » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:02 pm

Maybe I am just a "grip" but I think the cost of Mazda spare parts is very high. it seems that Mazda sell the car at a reasonable cost and hope to make more profit selling spares at what seem higher than normal prices. But, as I say, it may just be me!
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby drumtochty » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:41 pm

No both Subaru for the Impreza and Suzuki for the Jimny are just as expensive as I buy their exhaust bits as they last longer.

Just for a laugh why not phone up Merc and ask the price of a rear box or a cat and have a chair handy to sit down after you get the price.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:54 pm

From a Merc Forum.

Hi

Thought this may be of interest to other SLK owners. I have a 1999 230 Kompressor which the rear silencer was past its best to say the least. Got the Merc part number and then started looking around for a replacement. These silencers are like hens teeth. Blinking rare, especially non Merc. The Merc price came in at over £500. Not what I wanted to spend on a £2000 car. Pattern manufacturers either don't make them or list them but have never made them. After much looking on the internet I found an exhaust manufacturer in Poland, of all places, that actually makes them. Fitted it today and is identical to the original item. The new one even came with the chrome end can. And the price?

Including freight from Poland via DHL - £96.00 delivered.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby DavieW » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:58 pm

drumtochty wrote:From a Merc Forum.

Hi

Thought this may be of interest to other SLK owners. I have a 1999 230 Kompressor which the rear silencer was past its best to say the least. Got the Merc part number and then started looking around for a replacement. These silencers are like hens teeth. Blinking rare, especially non Merc. The Merc price came in at over £500. Not what I wanted to spend on a £2000 car. Pattern manufacturers either don't make them or list them but have never made them. After much looking on the internet I found an exhaust manufacturer in Poland, of all places, that actually makes them. Fitted it today and is identical to the original item. The new one even came with the chrome end can. And the price?

Including freight from Poland via DHL - £96.00 delivered.

Don't tell Arnold Shark or they'll be buying them in bulk and ripping off customers even more than now.
DavieW
OC Member
David Waddell
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Technical