Urgent Selling Advice Needed

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Urgent Selling Advice Needed

Postby quickfire999 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:45 pm

Hi all,

I need to sell my MX5 as it has just failed its MOT and I am not in a financial position to be able pay for the repairs. The garage has told me that it failed on 10 items, small things like bulbs needing replaced but the major items were the brakes. The garage reckons the calipers as well as discs and pads need replacing. The car also has a big dent to the door and wing on the passengers side due to a car reversing into it and driving off whilst parked on the road, and corrosion to the wheel arches and alloy wheels. I am of the opinion I will need to go to a garage or a company like webuyanycar.com to sell as without an MOT and the damage to the aesthetic of the car a private buyer would be put off.

The car is a 2003 1.8 MX5 with 51,000 miles on the clock. It has a nice private number plate 'M33ATA' which I would think any MX5 enthusiast might like. Also has Rota Zero 15" superlight alloy wheels on Toyo tyres.

My question is whether you all think there would be an interest in the car privately or should I bite the bullet and get what I can off a car dealership?
quickfire999

Re: Urgent Selling Advice Needed

Postby ruggiebloke » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:21 pm

Webuyanycar won't take it without an MOT. Brakes are easy and cheap to fix and bulbs take seconds. Rust is the killer on these cars. A private sale would be my option as a dealer would be miserly with an offer.
ruggiebloke

Postby drumtochty » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:15 pm

In my honest opinion even someone like me who is good at that stuff would have to spend on bits say £300 plus say £1,200 to do the rear arches and fix the damage. Also possibly another £500 on front chassis rails.

Your car is a scraper at the moment and is worth at best say £250.

The reg which most people find are not as easy to sell as they found when they bought it and maybe a couple of hundred for mint wheels and tyres, if the tyres are say half worn and there are the normal marks on the wheels then not as much.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby sclements » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:23 pm

PM sent

Scott
sclements

Return to Technical