Question: Wiring connector from stereo to windblocker

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Question: Wiring connector from stereo to windblocker

Postby bmv6197 » Fri May 22, 2015 11:52 am

Hi all,

I have installed a new windblocker in my mk1, which is a genuine Mazda item from a Mk2.5, and includes a pair of tweeters in the windblocker. I think Mazda rather grandly refers to this as an "aeroboard". Unfortunately, the person I bought this off didn't include all the parts with it. I've managed to source some parts from Mazda, but am missing the wiring connector that goes from the aeroboard, then under the centre console, to the stereo. Arnold Clark Mazda in Aberdeen have been very helpful, but the answer they are getting from Japan is that I need an entire rear wiring loom, which is ridiculous. I know I have seen a thread on here or another forum that indicated a single wire with plastic connectors on either end was all that was required and these were about £13 from Mazda. Of course, I can't find the thread now or any suggestions of a part name or number to help me explain to Mazda what I want...

Any help would be gladly appreciated. Of course I could simply cut the connector off the aeroboard harness, and the one off the stereo harness, and run 4 speaker cables back, but that seems a bit of a bodge and pretty much irreversible.

Cheers,
Brad.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

Re: Question: Wiring connector from stereo to windblocker

Postby drumtochty » Fri May 22, 2015 1:15 pm

There is an Auto electician out along Lang Stracht callled I think Taylors.

Address: Fernhill Industrial Estate, Lang Stracht, Aberdeen, Aberdeen City AB16 6TX
Phone:01224 662424

Why not go in there and see if they have the connectors.

Have you also posted this onthe mazda menders forum and on the mx5oc forum as someone there must have had the same problem.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby bmv6197 » Fri May 22, 2015 6:50 pm

Thanks Eddie - I had a good look around on some of the other forums and the only others trying this had opted for spade connectors and some speaker wiring rather than looking for an OEM solution. As Mazda seemed to be suggesting a whole rear wiring loom, I can see why! Just to get a second opinion, I called Autolink who actually confirmed the connector was part of the rear wiring loom for post '04 cars, and absent in earlier cars. So I hooked up a cable with spade connectors at each end as a temporary solution...

Cheers,
Brad.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

Postby drumtochty » Fri May 22, 2015 7:33 pm

Tidy that up by hiding it a bit and sorted!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Technical