NA Central Locking Fault

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

NA Central Locking Fault

Postby Sprockutt » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:25 pm

My passenger door seems a bit temperamental these days and locks sometimes and can't be bothered at others. I've lived with this for a while but thought I'd better get round to finally sorting it out.

I'm not exactly what you would call technically minded but moderately capable of changing simple stuff. I suspect some kind of actuator in the passenger door itself? Can anyone (Eddie) offer any help? :?
Sprockutt

Re: NA Central Locking Fault

Postby drumtochty » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:03 pm

If this is working via a remote fob that sounds like an aftermarket unit and it appears the actuator on the passenger side is maybe at the end of its life or there is a bad electrical connection.

If your car has Mazda fitted central locking then it works by you unlocking the drivers door with a key and a microswitch on the divers door lock mechanism sends a signal to unlock or lock the passenger door.

That is how it works on the Mk2 and if so, the microswitch tends to work some days and not others as it ages.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Sprockutt » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:31 pm

drumtochty wrote:If this is working via a remote fob that sounds like an aftermarket unit and it appears the actuator on the passenger side is maybe at the end of its life or there is a bad electrical connection.

If your car has Mazda fitted central locking then it works by you unlocking the drivers door with a key and a microswitch on the divers door lock mechanism sends a signal to unlock or lock the passenger door.

That is how it works on the Mk2 and if so, the microswitch tends to work some days and not others as it ages.

eddie

Thanks Eddie

The car has Mazda fitted central locking so looks like the microswitch is the culprit. I'll check Autolink and MX5Parts for a new one.

Thanks again

David
Sprockutt

Postby Sprockutt » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:41 pm

Looks like I may have a dealer fit key turn operated central locking system. Andrew at Autolink says there is no central locking system listed on the mazda parts catalogue for that year :?
Sprockutt

Postby drumtochty » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:21 pm

That is what I thought. I have never had a MK1 but I believe that the Mk2 was the first car with not very central locking in that it does not do the boot and if you manuallly lock or unlock the passenger side door it does not do anything to the drivers door.

My Mk2 has an aftermarket alarm system.

The standard fitted central locking system has a microswitch on the drivers door lock.

That talks to a switching relay behind the dash board, that in turn knows where the drivers door is locked or unlocked and powers on one of the corretc positive wire there are two on the factory fit passenger door actuator to either lock or unlock the passengers door.

The aftermarket alarm system is armed including an ultrasonic in the passenger corpartment on or off only by the aftermarket remote fob.

Therfore if you manually unlock the drivers door the alarm goes off if you locked the car from the remote.

Apart from the extra intruder sensors, it had an actuator fitted in the drivers door to lock and unlock the drivers door from the aftermarket remote fob and that uses the standard fit system to do the passenger door locking and unlocking.

I guess your car will have two aftermarket door actuators and an aftermarket brain box and fobs.

Even our 2007 Suzuki Jimny factory fitted central locking only locks all the doors from the remote or the drivers door.

Manually locking the back door or the passenger door does nothing to the drivers door.

Car mnufactuers save money in some strange ways.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby gm » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:42 pm

pop the door card off and have a look to see what is fitted, common faults on aftermarket systems are weak / damaged solenoids and a poor mechanical linkage to the door unlock bar. both a fairly easy fix, grab some bits off eBay once you know what you need. watch out for the black sticky gunge on the inside of the door though, it's awful to get off your hands / clothes.
gm

Postby Sprockutt » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:58 pm

Eddie,
Thanks for taking the time to put together a full and concise explanation. Very much appreciated.

I don't have a fob and my not very central locking system operates in the way you describe the Mazda fitted system to work. As in it operates by a key turning in the drivers door to unlock the passenger door only. It also doesn't or didn't ever open the drivers door if I unlocked the passenger door with the key.

As gm has suggested I think taking some pics when I get the door panel off will shed more light on the system I have installed and how I go about repairing it.

Thanks again to both of you,

David
Sprockutt

Return to Technical