Mk 2.5 Water Leak Into Drivers Foot Well

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Mk 2.5 Water Leak Into Drivers Foot Well

Postby Alec » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:19 pm

I have a water leak which I couldn't find the source of last year. I have just removed the hard top so am hoping to get to the bottom of it now. The water came in around the front of the drivers side window while moving and the foot well filled up if the car was left sitting in the rain.

The hood is in good condition with no rips or tears and all the window rubbers etc look okay.
The drain holes behind the seats are clear as are the channels from the front of the roof.
The drain slit in the front sills are also clear.

I've tightened the hood clamps as mine were originally very easy to clamp up but I'm not convinced that achieved anything.

What else should I check?
Mk2.5 Phoenix
MK3.5 Kendo BBR
Alec

Re: Mk 2.5 Water Leak Into Drivers Foot Well

Postby drumtochty » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:38 pm

The drain holes at the jacking points two at each point so 8 in total. Tint screwdriver needed to cear them

The cabin drains behind the seatbelt towers a trumbone brush or something similar to clean them from above.

Also sit inside and get someone to play a hose on the car and see where any more water comes in.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:06 pm

There is a tension spring at each side of the hood, I wonder if one of them has broken and the hood is not properly sitting on the window.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Alec » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:07 pm

Thanks for that. I'll have another look at the sill drains as I only checked one on each side at the front jacking points. I have the trombone brush and keep the two behingd the seatbelts clear. What's the easiest way to check the tension wire / spring?
Mk2.5 Phoenix
MK3.5 Kendo BBR
Alec

Postby drumtochty » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:55 pm

Basically is the hood a nice pressure contact between the top of a closed window and the hood.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Alec » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:26 pm

A couple of the sill drains were blocked. Both sides of the hood appear tight over the side windows. Waiting for the next rainy day with fingers crossed.
Mk2.5 Phoenix
MK3.5 Kendo BBR
Alec

Postby OldSpice » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:22 pm

Take it to a pressure wash and induce it if it's still there. It's a nice day to fettle around if you can!
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Return to Technical