My Rebuild

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

My Rebuild

Postby BoabG » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:39 pm

I posted a while back that my 5 was going in for some paint work, which turned out to be well lets just say :evil: :evil: :evil: . Sills. inner arches, outer arches and wings needed due to the car being done wrong by the looks of it to sell ( In the hands of the solicitors as it was a trader that sold it, saying he replaced arches etc)

As you'll see for the pictures it wasn't done right at all.

Looked great when i got her

Car went in to paint shop for some paint work only, BUT!!!!

So the question was do i repair it or do i loose all the money i spent on her?. I decided to do a full restore as i did not want to loose £2000. So it began Ordered new arches, sills and wings at a cost of nearly £800.

Told the paint shop to do the car right, sort everything.

New arches all stone-chipped on the inner surface

Arch bonded on and welded at the bottom

Looking 100% better

This is going to cost more than the car is worth, but i don't intend to sell it. She will be kept in the family. Once she is finished i know i will have one of the best MK2.5's around. Mechanically the car is fantastic 60,000 miles, just done a major service and put on a polished stainless exhaust, also going to replace all the discs and pads.

More updates soon..
2004- MX5 Euphonic in Titanium.
BoabG
OC Member
Bob Gray
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: My Rebuild

Postby zebedee » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:45 pm

It is so easy for a garage to say they have done something safe in the knowledge most people will not be able to check it or even need to go in there until the damage could be said to be due to the age since they did the work. Hope the legal track works out and they have to pay for what they said they had done.
zebedee

Postby iain cooper » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:57 pm

unfortunate you had the wool pulled over your eyes, hope you get compensation.

but great pictures, and look forward to seeing the completed job.

Iain
iain cooper

Postby OldSpice » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:35 pm

If the "dealer" is VAT registered, I'd imagine he, she, or it will have receipts showing his purchase of parts, paint, and materials, and possible outside labour to reclaim.
He, she, or it would likely have an interest in claiming them as a tax deductible overhead anyway. It should be interesting to see if they can be produced.
I've got a reputation for being a "5 Rot caveat emptor Grim Reaper".
I could not give a toss as this case is yet another example of an outwardly shiny (rotting) 5 being flogged to a nice trusting guy in his foray into 5 ownership.
Pick any main stream mass car more than 10 years old and you'll find it's returning to Mother Oxide somewhere to various degrees ...but they are of no interest to us.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby BoabG » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:42 pm

One things for sure she will be pampered once she is finished, saying that she is getting pampered now with all this. Even my wife is OK with the work getting done :shock: :shock: . I reckon it will be mid April before she rolls out the shop all sleek and shinny.

Cheers guys, more pics and updates when i get them 8)
BoabG
OC Member
Bob Gray
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:56 am

At least, albeit at a price, you'll end up with an increasingly rare ltd edition and well sorted example Bob. It's not for everyone doing what we did/are doing but it won't devalue (much) to speak of, your not suffering piano-down-a-lift shaft depreciation, getting screwed for monthly payments, and it's barely loosened up mechanically.
Once the pain is over....it'll be the envy of many..( though they may not show it!) :wink:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby BoabG » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:59 am

Just been to the paint shop and the car is completely F****D it's rotten beyond repair, so going to strip the parts off that i can and scrap the rest. If anyone needs a 1.8 engine and box let me know, i will also have 2 spare front wings, 1 sill, 1 arch, both doors, the complete hood, bumpers, bonnet and boot lid, these are all primed. Red and black leather interior with door cards.

I'M TOTALLY GUTTED !!!!!!!!!!
BoabG
OC Member
Bob Gray
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby zebedee » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:01 pm

That is terrible news, it looked so good in the original pictures.
Last edited by zebedee on Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zebedee

Postby OldSpice » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:03 pm

Just noticed.
Either your wheels have been popped on and off to shift it around the workshop ( in which case fine) or some twit fitted them with the treads round the wrong way.
Incidentally, with these miles she's ripe for a cambelt + water pump change. Cannot recall if you mentioned it.
OldSpice

Postby OldSpice » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:05 pm

Sorry Bob, my posts crossed with yours.
I'm puzzled further..all that work commenced and yet at the 11th hour it's deemed scrap, or did the strip expose the "exercise in futility"?
Horrific experience your having.

Equally, if legal proceedings loom, is it best judgement to destroy the evidence?
OldSpice

Postby BoabG » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:24 pm

Stripping old underseal off revealed the rot it's would need a complete chassis. Yeah I fitted new timing belt water pump rollers full service etc.

The question is do I buy another one???.
BoabG
OC Member
Bob Gray
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:08 pm

Depends on your personal level of stoicism!
Solid Mk 2's abound...it's just a question of being forensic when viewing
The later Mk1 is probably a safer bet ironically enough.
They have issues too but mostly related to rear arch/sill rot but generally apart from the usual chassis crud..that's about it.
So long as the apparent surface crud has not reach the seat belt anchorages it's redeemable depending on how deep your pocket is.
Like any old car electrics and anything rubber will need tlc sometimes.
Their better pure "fun" than a Mk2.5 anyway in my opinion, and I say that owning one of each.

Here is my 1994 Roadster Mk1 chassis..although I'm aware the rear arch/sills are due for a refurb.

OldSpice

Postby BoabG » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:13 pm

I may look around and see if i can get a decent MK1 after what i have forked out i only have around £2000 left to play with :cry:
BoabG
OC Member
Bob Gray
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby gm » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:40 pm

That is terrible news, you must be gutted :(
gm

Postby BoabG » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:56 pm

Totally buddy.
BoabG
OC Member
Bob Gray
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby ruggiebloke » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:57 pm

£2k should see you into a fairly clean mk1. I just picked one up for sub £1500. Buy on condition not mileage or number of previous owners.
ruggiebloke

Postby BoabG » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:08 pm

Thanks if anyone knows of 1 going could you give me a shout please.

All parts from my car are for sale or make an offer for the whole car.
Parts include new polished stainless cat back exhaust, new Lexus style back lights, new zun sport grille, roll hoops, sound board with wind break, euphonic wheels refurbished with decent tyres, alloy pedals, alloy fuel flap, clear lenses front and back, black and red leather seats and door cards excellent condition no wear, the doors, bonnet, boot lid, and bumpers will be primed ready to paint. There are also 2 new never fitted front wings, drivers side sill and rear arch. Mohair soft top with heated screen and frame. Engine is excellent as is gear box and diff, engine has a full documented service history, major service just done including timing belt and water pump Plus many more bits. Please PM me if you require anything.
BoabG
OC Member
Bob Gray
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanH » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:30 pm

Absolute nightmare, serious commiserations.

I'd strongly suggest contacting Steve Bloxham at Goodwood Sportscars in Berwick and tell him your budget, if he doesn't have anything just now it's likely he will soon.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby OldSpice » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:54 pm

Beat me to it Ian. Bob, it's the way forward for you now. Steve is a trusted & respected and very clued up "Good Guy"
OldSpice

Postby OldSpice » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:58 pm

PM'd you Bob.
OldSpice

Next

Return to Technical