Service - MOT - detailing for recently bought mk3 MX-5

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Service - MOT - detailing for recently bought mk3 MX-5

Postby Andag » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:04 am

Hi All,

I am a new member of the forum. I currently live in Aberdeen and am a proud owner of a blue 2.0 mk3 MX-5 (2009 model) since November 2014. I am following the forum for a while and decided to join as I would like some advice from the more experienced owners on some issues. Apologies I did not introduce myself in a separate post, but I have some quite urgent queries.

1. I have to go for an MOT test tomorrow. I did some research to decide where to go for the test and I am considering the following options:
a) Aberdeen City Council Fleet Services Division: I read that, while the MOT test is quite expensive (£57) there, this tends to be the cheapest option taking into consideration that it is a test centre only and not a garage and thus, I will avoid being charged for needless service.
b) Halfords Autocentre: I read some good reviews and the MOT cost is quite low (£30). However, I am concerned they may force me to accept needless service costs to pass the test.
c) Kwit Fit: I read some good reviews and the MOT cost is quite low (£30). However, I am concerned they may force me to accept needless service costs to pass the test.
Could you please advise which is the best option? If you know a better test centre than the ones I listed, please let me know.
It will be the first time I will go for an MOT test, so any advice will be welcome and appreciated.

2. The car was last serviced in 09/2013, however has only done 5000 miles since then (34000 miles in total).
Reading the forum I understand that the the service consists of air filter, oil (fully synthetic 5w30), oil filter, gear box oil, break fluid and the standard checks.
I did some research in the forum and found the following recommended garages in the Aberdeen area:
-Paul Bowers (01382456222/07801551293)
-George at 'On the Road Again' in Peterculter
-Paul Mackie at 'Firstdrive' in Stonehaven
-'Tyre Services' at Altens
-The previous owner suggested 'Castlepark Garage' in Ellon
a) When would you advise me to service the car considering the last service date and the mileage since then?
b) Which is the best value for money oil and gearbox oil (6 speed gearbox) for a 2 litre mk3 MX-5?
c) Which is the best garage in Aberdeen in your opinion and why (regardless of if included in the above list)?

3. Could you please recommend a good value for money detailer in the Aberdeen area? The last owner sold me the car with a few scratches on the alloy wheels and also the colour of the car is not very shiny. How much would it approximately cost to fix these?

4. I am considering to change the rear tyres of the car. I read good reviews about the following tyres:
Toyo TR1, Kumho KU39/KU31, Kankook K110, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2/PS3, Goodyear F1 Asymmetric, Uniroyal Rainsport 2
I am looking to buy decent tyres in a reasonable price, so I would probably look at the Toyo, Kumho or Kankook.
Which is the best 'cheap' tyre in your opinion?

5. Unfortunately, I may have to sell my MX-5 in a couple of months, as I may leave the UK permanently. Apart from the MOT, which is obligatory, should I do the service/change the tyres/fix the alloy wheels/polish the car? These are not necessary as the car is in an excellent mechanical condition and safe to drive.
Does it make sense to pay the aforementioned costs from a seller perspective? Will I be able to achieve a higher price and get the money back?

Thank you in advance for your time, assistance and advice.

Regards,
Andreas
Andag

Re: Service - MOT - detailing for recently bought mk3 MX-5

Postby drumtochty » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:19 am

It's up to you what you do but there is no good reason to change a modern oil at 5,000 miles but people who buy your car while not understanding that, may want to see the car serviced sooner.

The only comment I will give is that the gearbox in the 6 speed cars is very fussy about oil and only use Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W/90.

Use no other Castrol Oil gear oil.

The engine is soft on engine oils so anything of a 5W/30 grade will be ok.

I can give no recommendation about a local garage as I service my own car.

Kuhmo lyres are very good.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Macdond » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:47 pm

Again I do all my own servicing. I second the bit about using the Castrol Synstar oil in the gear box, which I have used. I would also suggest getting the rear diff oil changed, I used redline 75/90w for the diff.

When selling a car, a recent full service will make it more attractive to a prospective buyer.
Macdond

Postby drumtochty » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:14 pm

For the avoidance of doubt the Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle should not be used in the diff.

That requires a GL5 oil, they Multivehicle is GL4.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby mgrays » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:33 pm

1.MOT test tomorrow options:
a) Aberdeen City Council Fleet Services Division: = a test centre only and not a garage and thus, you will avoid being charged for needless service.
b) Halfords Autocentre: = needless service costs to pass the test.
c) Kwik Fit = needless service costs to pass the test.
d) .. First Drive down at Stonehaven, nice bunch, fair prices, fair test and can service car at same time, Paul Mackie and his wife at reception
e) .. Central Garage, Laurencekirk work till 7pm Thurs at least but 25 miles odd.. do my MOTs. http://www.mottestcentres.co.uk/scotlan ... 19080.html

2. The car serviced
Paul Mackie at 'Firstdrive' in Stonehaven = Yes
'Tyre Services' at Altens = Not for me, seen a "hard" MOT last week so no.., great for tyre fitting....

a) When would you advise me to service the car considering the last service date and the mileage since then?
Annual service ... or 10k miles is what it probably says if you read the book.. so it would be best .. but bet new owners will not pay you for it if you are selling soon!
Brake fluid needs done every 2 years.. as it absorbs water and then brakes boil on you.. but few drive hard enough to notice or own car long enough to see corrosion.
Gearbox upper turret + gaiter will need done and will make the most difference to the gearbox feel.

3. Could you please recommend a good value for money detailer in the Aberdeen area.
Scratches in paint work ... or paint detailer/polisher?
http://www.yell.com/biz/paint-technic-a ... 900234762/ do alloys on retouch up
Polished Bliss do proper expensive detailing..
The wash bay out in Cove is only a couple of years old but seem busy.

4. Toyo, Kumho or Kankook.
Which is the best 'cheap' tyre in your opinion?
Toyo .. but Kumho seems to have a following now. I have Toyos and Goodyear F1 .. not much in them.

5. Added value on reselling;
service = up to you.. doubtful value added.
change the tyres .. I would .. it is safety first but depends on buyer, these cars are sensitive to tyres and I also judge owners on what tyres they fit, cheap tyres = cheap/bad owner
fix the alloy wheels .. go get a touch up pen from Halfords, properly wash the rims and DIY.. need warmer weather but it is easy
polish the car .. DIY on a nice warm day .. very unlikely to get anything back from a proper detail cost!
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby drumtochty » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:28 pm

Malcolm

The car is a MK3 so no turret oil and rubber cap.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby mgrays » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:00 pm

I was thinking about that before I posted (even Googled it).. but as they use same 5 speed gearbox on the 1.8 .. I sort of presumed it would have same remote mechanism and failures.. my mistake. 6 speed is the Aisin gearbox (used in a few places like baby Lexus) so different for sure
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Return to Technical