Idle dropping, help in Aberdeen

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Idle dropping, help in Aberdeen

Postby Mx5 blonde » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:42 pm

Hi, my mk1 roadster, is having some issues.....including idle dropping and stalling, it was hesitating and loss of power however today got help to clean throttle body (with part success) and icv...it's running better but my idle is still dropping n stalling....the cars had loads of repairs on it including having the head skimmed, timing belt and water pump replaced along with air, oil, fuel filters n a new rad ...on mot ( advisory for an oil leak) but didn't specify where...oh plugs n leads were also replaced....the original repairs where done through a friend who no longer in contact with not in Aberdeen, I am looking for any advice....or advice of good garage here who is good with mx5s , I don't want to have to sell my beloved mx5 .....help :?
Mx5 blonde

Re: Idle dropping, help in Aberdeen

Postby drumtochty » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:57 pm

Simple stuff first, is the ECU wet.?

OK some people will not follow instructions and just say yes I have tried that when have not so please do exactly as requested.

Open passenger door and remove the kick plate that keeps the carpet in place that you can see when the door is opened.

Lift the carpet and check there is no dampness or water there.

The ECU is a box a bit larger than a cigarette packet but similar depth. It is where the passenger s feet would be on the front bulkhead under the carpet, is there moisture there.

For the avoidance of doubt placing your hand on top of the carpet will not allow you to work out if there is dampness underneath the carpet as it has a waterproof membrane.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Mx5 blonde » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:19 pm

No worries, will check tomo in daylight ...I do know however when the original repairs were being done on the car it took 9 weeks, in which the car had to be completely dried out as couple of splits at seams in roof , really bad rain, n sitting outside a workshop... Both passenger n drivers side including seats I believe at very least behind seats were soaked...if it has been water damage to ECU, sorry to ask a silly question but what then?
Mx5 blonde

Postby drumtochty » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:36 pm

One step at a time but it would be a trip out to Drumtochty to get it dried out.

In most cases you do not have to replace the ECU.

What year is your car?

Is it a Eunos Roadster, square rear numberplate, or a UK supplied Mazda MX5 long rear number plate and what size engine?

Where are you based in Aberdeen?

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Mx5 blonde » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:09 am

My car is 92, eunos roaster, square rear number plate....I'll check tomo and get back to u...Eddie. :)
Mx5 blonde

Postby Mx5 blonde » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:10 am

Aww I am based in Torry aberdeen, the harbour turning takes u into my end ..
Mx5 blonde

Postby Mx5 blonde » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:28 am

Well Eddie, I couldn't wait, so went down, followed instructions, it's fking soaking its swimming in water, what now? Can this cause idle dropping ? :cry:
Mx5 blonde

Postby Mx5 blonde » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:00 am

Mx5 blonde

Postby drumtochty » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:39 am

Lift carpet and get the water out.

Get it dry.

We then have to check the rear cabin drains and the sill drains.

The ECU needs any moisture removed, the electrical connector removed and any rust on the connectors cleaned then put back together again.

With a bit of luck that may fix it.

I have sent a pm with my contact details, you are more than welcome to bring your car out to Auchenblae if you want me to have a look at it

It would be good to get a fan heater in there for an hour or so which depending where you live could be easy or difficult if you are in a flat.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby joeytalent » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:08 pm

If you need a replacement ECU, I have a spare you can have for postage.
joeytalent

Postby gm » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:45 pm

Sounds like you have found the problem then, more common that you might think

http://www.mx5scotland.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11709

http://www.mx5scotland.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10153

As said, get everything dried out and see what happens next. Hopefully an easy fix and all of the other work you have done just adds to the overall wellbeing of the engine :)
gm

Postby drumtochty » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:35 pm

Joey

You have a PM.

The car will be visiting the Drumtochty convalescent home for MX5's this weekend.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby mgrays » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:06 pm

Well dry it out first... that needs done whatever else is wrong.

My guess would be the work on cleaning/messing with throttle body will have messed with idle settings. The test is to remove the ICV plug at idle when the car is hot (idle until the fan comes on at the radiator) (shorting TEN and GND does the same thing amongst other things) .. the car should not change engine speed from 850 rpm .. if it does then the main throttle plate stopper screw is in the wrong place and needs adjusting. Go google on Miata.net for 1.6 NA throttle adjustment; first hit is http://www.miata.net/garage/isc.html .. note they start from scratch which you should do (many folk go straight to the throttle plate stopper screw .. which is the wrong place to start..)

"ADJUSTING THE IAS. If you have cleaned & checked the TB, the ISCV, and the AV per the preceding steps and have found and corrected a problem, I would now reassemble the parts & adjust the IAS to 850 +/- 50 rpm with the TEN & GND contacts shorted in the DC. Ideally the rpm will be the same (850 +/_ 50 rpm) with or without the TEN & GND jumper installed."
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby drumtochty » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:19 pm

Well that's IanH away with his new exhaust fitted and our new poster tomorrow morning to get their car dried out and then I will go over the procedure you linked to.

Aye very busy this retirement business with holiday's, car fixing and just going to pick up a dog to go for a walk with a ball.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby mgrays » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:47 pm

How's the Suzuki behaving?

Should be out and about on Saturday afternoon .. welding the Rav4 before it goes to a new home .. if you are needing more opinions to confuse us all! :)
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby drumtochty » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:52 pm

Jury rigged the Jimny as advised on the Jimny forum so the auto hubs are always in 4WD but the 4WD switch is only used to switch the transfer box in and out of 4WD so sorted.

Spent three days not sorting the vacuum system to the auto hubs as forecast by the guys on the forum.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:49 pm

Latest state of play with MX5 Blonde's Eunos

Car arrived at Drumtochty with the passenger side carpet lifted and the floor all nice and dry together with the ECU cover bolts already loosened.

First Job was to check the cabin drains behind the seat belt towers.

Both were blocked but the passenger side was properly blocked so cleared those.

removed battery terminals and removed the ECU.

Dried the ECU beside a fan heater and dried the connectors with a hair drier, Aye not mine as I just let my hair naturally dry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reconnected the battery and a minor problem and the second time in two months same with the new battery for my MK3.
The battery had the skinny battery terminals with a collar on but the positive collar was 2mm too small in diameter and the battery connector was loose so I cut some sheet steel and get it in between the positive terminal and the battery connector and that was sorted.

Put the car on the ramp and poked into the sill drain holes on the bottom of the sills at the jacking points and both sill drains let out lots of water. Luckily clean water so it had not been in there two long.

Then we went out for a run and the car was no longer cutting out. So happy days.

We had lunch, for those that have been at Drumtochty before it was cheese rolls with a hint of Syntrans and a can of juice, well I do know how to treat a lady.

So we put the car on the ramp again to check out the underside and all was well we thought.

Reversed of the ramp, filled up the screen wash and guess what it would not start!!!!!!!!!

Remove plug 1 and 3 and there was lots of spark at the plugs but no petrol on the plugs or smell while turning over with a couple of plugs out.

Tried to start it again with the plugs back in and pushing the accelerator it caught and after 10 seconds it was running fine.

Time was getting on so it was back to Aberdeen with the car but I will have the car again next weekend while the owner is away and go through the whole fuel system.

We did establish that the throttle body and the air valve have been cleaned but not the idle speed control valve.

So any ideas are welcome before next Thursday.

1992 Eunos 1600, it has the yellow bilstiens on and has been lowered say 40mm. Chassis braces in yellow but normal interior and a tiny leather steering wheel

So would that make it a S Special.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby mgrays » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:16 pm

Did you get an codes off the ECU? Diode, resistor or 12V diode required..

No gas.. dodgy fuel pump relay (normally clips power but they do go sometimes), dodgy cam sensors, dodgy ECU high power supply (12V or earth) (there are 2 terminals on the ECU.. one is the "clean" one for the chip and the other is the "dirty" one for the valve drivers for the injectors.. so cycle the ECU connector in/out a few times.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby drumtochty » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:37 pm

Just after she left, I thought why did you not do the diode test but I could not find one so will get a few next week.

Fuel Pump relay sounds a good one.

The electrics were sitting at 14.2 volts running but again I will have a look at the voltage to the relay.

All the ecu connectors are clean.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanH » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:22 am

Cheese and Syntrans :D must be a Saturday special, Tuna on Fridays..

Seriously, kudos for the help and assistance to local 5 owners!
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Next

Return to Technical