Rust free but not perfect

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Rust free but not perfect

Postby ListonEunos » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:00 pm

Hi, my 1994 Eunos is currently in my garage and looks great, it's not perfect though and doesn't drive great. It currently sounds a bit tappity but I figure that's through lack of use. Handling doesn't feel super although this could be me getting used to driving a rear wheel drive car. Looking forward to the summer though. Was thinking that I would get the wheel alignment done. Any other suggestions to improve My car, fortunately bodywork is good, no welding required.
ListonEunos

Re: Rust free but not perfect

Postby drumtochty » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:06 am

As you say get the alignment done but if it has different cheepo tyres they will cause problems. MX5's like good spec tyres.

What make are the tyres and are they all the same make.

The tappet problem is a feature of the Mk1 tappets, that tend to be noisy due to bad design, fixed on the Mk2, on start up and to stop that for ever it is a complicated job and much work.

You need to strip them from the car and clean them in a cleaning bath.

Some people say to use Mobil1 0W/40 as it is very thin at start up and can start to self clean the trapped old oil in the tappets.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:08 pm

Definately get the alignment done. If you are in around Central Scotland, ProgGrip in Falkirk is the place.
Ways to make a Mk1 "drive better"?

Could end up in paragraphs tbh, but basically they demand the best matched rubber ( Toyo Ts, CF's, Rainsports etc) + alignment, perfect brakes, good bushes, tight droplinks, thicker ARBs, unworn ball joints etc. In short, pretty much as it left factory.
You can start screwing around with cheap Rokker :cry: slammed suspension etc, but frankly while it looks "cool" the chassis does'nt always agree. :wink:

As for the tappets, as Eddie has eluded, they are a pest if tired oil is in there, and the engine is not in regular use. For 8 years now with mine, I've found 4k oil intervals and a damned good hammering now and then keeps it all quiet. It's just the darned hydraulic oil buckets filling up, not an issue really. Later cars went solid lifters.

Basically, as you know, it's never going to be "fast" as such, so the speed comes form the running gear & brakes. This is where you gain through the twisties! :wink:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby BoabG » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:53 pm

Got my 4 wheel alignment done by Paul Bower in Dundee, what a difference it's made to the car, well worth getting it done.
2004- MX5 Euphonic in Titanium.
BoabG
OC Member
Bob Gray
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby ListonEunos » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:46 pm

That's great thanks, Falkirk not too far from me. The only long journey I've done in the car so far is the trip up from Stockport where I bought it. Want to keep the car standard although I know it had coil overs at some point but were removed just before it went on sale. Planned to put car on the road at end of March, it will have been off the road for 5 months come then. Guess it'll need an oil change?
ListonEunos

Postby Richardn » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:49 pm

Flush it first and new oil, should help the HLA clatter, wynns do a product that also helps

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine ... fter-350ml

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... r&_sacat=0
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby ListonEunos » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:32 pm

Meant to add earlier that the car does have a mixture of tyres. Pirelli 6000 and Dunlop on the front and some cheapos on the back, not ideal.
ListonEunos

Postby DTB » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:48 pm

Oh dear, that's a far from ideal situation. Mixed on the front and cheap rubber on the back could actually be a dangerous mix if you're pushing it through some twisties. I would urge you to get some decent matching tyres all around.
DTB

Postby iain cooper » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:34 pm

from the horrendous mixture of tyres it would make me think that the previous owner has not really known a lot about the car in terms of mechanical needs.

it probably needs a good comprehensive service, including a set of decent tyres, etc

Iain

ps have you checked out underneath properly in terms of rust ?
iain cooper

Postby OldSpice » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:20 pm

ListonEunos wrote:Meant to add earlier that the car does have a mixture of tyres. Pirelli 6000 and Dunlop on the front and some cheapos on the back, not ideal.

Ooops.
Well, if I wanted my 5 to handle like a burst garden hose on full that would be a great way to achieve it! :shock:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:08 pm

To be honest guys apart from a few enthusiasts, yes present company all included, the whole world including the motor trade who should know better phone the local tyre centre and buy one off cheapest tyre to put on if a tyre will fail the MOT not two tyres.

It is only an enthusiast who will buy a matched set of 4 or 2 tyres with the new tyres matching what is on the car.

I reckon if you take your three year old MX5 into a Mazda dealer for part exchange against a new MX5 and one of the tyres is at 2mm and the other 3 at 4mm.

They will on selling the car not before it is sold, change one tyre to the cheapest they can find.

Every normal person I know apart from enthusiasts always go for the cheapest possible price as something has to go if it is their Sky subscription, Iphone contract to get a "FREE" Iphone 6 or a car safety item. They do not even think about the first two essentials.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby ListonEunos » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:35 pm

That's true about the tyres, when I sold my mini last year I bunged a cheap farmers tyre on it as I got a flat that could not be repaired. Will try and find out how to post pictures and I'll get your view on underneath the car.

Before I bought it, it sat under car port since 2011, was imported 2008.
ListonEunos

Return to Technical