1.8 brakes question....

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

1.8 brakes question....

Postby DazTilley » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:57 pm

Hi have got the chance of getting a full set of 1.8 brakes (calipers and carriers - front and rear)

Question is - will i be able to fit them all to my mk1 1.6 eunos with bigger 1.8 discs and pads ??

Have done loads of searching and the fronts will bolt on fine with a bit of tweaking to the brake shield - but what about the rears???

Cheers
Daz
1990 Eunos Roadster 1.6 V-Special
2001 Suzuki GSXR 1000
DazTilley

Re: 1.8 brakes question....

Postby drumtochty » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:10 pm

The guys on mazda menders.net say yes.

The also say that there is no good reason to go to the trouble of doing it as there is little improvement in brake performance.

Log on there and ask the question.

eddie

Never tried it myself.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby gm » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:06 am

the carriers will fit no problem, you don't need to change the calipers unless yours are duff. choose decent pads and standard discs and you will enjoy the benefit of increased contact area, better cooling and better overall brake performance. however standard 1.6 discs with decent pads are more than capable on track, the max5 racing series use yellow stuff on 1.6 discs, I took a passenger ride in one of the competition cars and was mighty impressed.

I have yellow stuff on 1.8 discs, they do the job well
gm

Postby hold on tight » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:17 pm

Watch your wheel size! 14" wheels don't go over the bigger brakes from the Sport. What size wheels are you running?
hold on tight

Postby DazTilley » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:58 pm

Hi guys - thanks for the info
I'm running 17" TSW 5 spoke alloys so the brakes will fit ok

Have read about the brake upgrade swapping over caliper sides and using the 1.8 carriers - i have a wanted ad up for some 1.8 carriers and have been offered front and rear calipers and carriers.....

So was thinking about getting the full set of 1.8 and refurbing with new seals and pistons and cleaning them up and painting them - be a good project and get better brakes too

Then fitting them with braided hoses front and rear with swirl grooved discs and good pads

I'll be fitting a brake master cylinder brace too.....

Looks like i'll have the car for a long time and might go down the forced induction route - so fancied starting with the brakes

Any more info would be good!

Cheers
Daz
2001 Suzuki GSXR 1000
DazTilley

Postby gm » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:52 pm

DazTilley wrote:
Have read about the brake upgrade swapping over caliper sides and using the 1.8 carriers - i have a wanted ad up for some 1.8 carriers and have been offered front and rear calipers and carriers.....

I'll be fitting a brake master cylinder brace too

If you keep your existing 1.6 calipers on the car, you only need to swap the carriers over from side to side - the carrier that came off the front left of the 1.8 goes on the front right of the 1.6 and vice versa - so no need to disconnect any hoses. The back carriers just swap over on the same sides.

Brake booster is an easy one :

http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=128771&hl=

Are you planning to take the mx on track ? There are still a few places available for knockhill at the end of February

http://www.mx5scotland.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13732
gm

Postby DazTilley » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:05 pm

Thanks for the info o the brakes - have heard you can swap them round but then the bleed nipple is at the bottom of the caliper - so plan on a full swap. Like the idea of the brake booster but i haven't got an upper strut brace - so can't do it that way.....

Might go on the track but not until i have the car how i want it - so maybe later in the year or next year.

Cheers
Daz
2001 Suzuki GSXR 1000
DazTilley

Return to Technical