Battery monitor

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Battery monitor

Postby DazTilley » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:07 pm

Thought i'd quite like a battery monitor to keep an eye on the state of the battery and to check that the alternator is working correctly and not over charging.....

So bought this item from ebay (200547996513) and thought about how to mount it inside the car.....

Have got a switch blank and thought i could fit it in there - so with a bit of fettling i managed to fit the battery/charge monitor into the blank switch surround :)

The unit comes with 3 wires red/blue/yellow

Connecting the blue wire to earth and the red wire to a permanent live i now have a fully functioning battery/charging monitor!

I didn't connect the yellow wire to give a bar graph type display as i only wanted 1 led to indicate the battery/charge state.

Using 1 led it only draws 2ma - so won't have a big drain on the battery.

Led colours indicate voltage:

3RD GREEN 12.5V +

2ND GREEN 12.1V

1ST GREEN 11.8V

YELLOW 11.5V

ORANGE 11.2V

RED 11V

RED (FLASHING SLOW) 10.7V

RED (FLASHING FAST) 10.5V

It also indicates over charging by flashing the 2 end led's (red and green) at 15.2v

Its not an advert for the item or the seller - but i think its a really good looking mod - especially if you have a switch blank!!

Daz
1990 Eunos Roadster 1.6 V-Special
2001 Suzuki GSXR 1000
DazTilley

Re: Battery monitor

Postby gm » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:23 am

That's a nice neat job, I like it. I was thinking of getting one of those small led voltage displays that plug into the lighter socket but this is a much neater solution.
gm

Return to Technical