Radio not working on MX5 Mk3 - then started working

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Radio not working on MX5 Mk3 - then started working

Postby alanjhd » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:08 pm

Hi,

I skidded my MX5 on the ice in December (doh), so it was in the garage for repairs for a few weeks. When I got it back all was good, except that the radio wouldn't turn on - the LCD panel just stayed blank when the ignition came on. I checked all the fuses were good, but still didn't work and I made an appointment to take it in to be checked at the weekend. However, it just started working about 50miles later, and is still working fine.

I thought this might be a loose connection, but in fact I'm wondering if it was due to a low battery charge. Has anyone seen something like this before, or have a good idea what the cause might be?

Thanks,
Alan
alanjhd

Re: Radio not working on MX5 Mk3 - then started working

Postby drumtochty » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:10 pm

No!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby alanjhd » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:26 pm

OK, I'll just assume it was a loose connection, and investigate a bit more if it happens again. Thanks.
alanjhd

Postby OldSpice » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:18 am

Alan,
By chance my alternator ( 22 years old!) in my Mk1 is on it's way out. When it does wobble, clearly the battery has to take over supplying power until the alt kicks in again.
When the alt does cut out, the radio goes off, then comes back on again. I've a recon alt on the way.
So, there may be some substance in your theory but if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it as they say. :lol:
TBH, with the weather right now, I'd be charge/conditioning the battery anyhow.
(I'm just along the road a bit from you BTW)..so if you ain't got a Gel charger, you could pick mine up to see if it helps....if you have a gel battery.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby DTB » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:00 am

A lot battery/dodgy alt can certainly cause all manner of strange symptoms with the electrics in modern cars. There seem to be priority essential circuits and then non-essential circuits, and the audio is the latter. It's difficult to diagnose a problem unless is is repeatable, and I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't happen again. If it does, check if your battery is charging okay.
DTB

Postby drumtochty » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:27 pm

While certain things may need a higher voltage to run say a radio that has high spec circuits or wipers that need an extra shove to keep them going.

There are no systems on car electrics that switch certain items on when the voltage is say above 12.3 volts, it just does not happen.

This is in fact is done on very large process plants but the kit to do that costs hundreds of thousands so no chance of it happening on a car.

eddie
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby alanjhd » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:45 pm

OK, thanks to all for replies. All still working fine and battery seems fully charged, so I will leave well alone. Tx for offer of the charger OldSpice, but no need at the moment.
alanjhd

Postby hold on tight » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:00 pm

drumtochty wrote:There are no systems on car electrics that switch certain items on when the voltage is say above 12.3 volts, it just does not happen.
eddie

Peugeot have quite a clever system whereby, as well as operating the ignition warning light, the field wiring for the alternator also controls a relay for the heater blower, so when my van alternator was dying, the first indication was the blower cutting out
hold on tight

Postby drumtochty » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:14 pm

That's due to the relay only working at a certain voltage and other vans may not be the same so I would guess that is component tolerance.

On sum cars when the ignition key is in the starting position only certain other feeds are working not based on voltage but the switch wafers design.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Technical