S limited found in England

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

S limited found in England

Postby greenhornet » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:35 am

Hello,

I've come across this car in England.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/mazda/mazda-mx ... 1095075195

Good price, howeer the sills are a concern for me.

Looking for advise on the following:
Both sills. how much damage (rust) is present on the sills?
How difficult would it be to repair sills? (remove rust)
Can this be done by myself?
if not done by myself then what would the cost be?
The leather seats can be repaired in time. My concern is making sure the next MOT passes with flying colours.

Im thinking of this as a project. Work on it over time. Any ideas? I could say forget this one and buy something more expensive but without the work.

Future plans would be do a paint job. the chance to own a rare classic car is worth something.

Hopefully viewing Saturday.
greenhornet

Re: S limited found in England

Postby BoabG » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:04 am

The sills would need to be cut off and the inners would need to be checked and repaired if needed. Then new sills welded in place. If you can weld then not an issue, if not then the cost could vary depending on where you go, and how much work is needed. But I reckon it would be in to the hundreds for the work plus the price if the new panels. It would then of course need painted.

Poor car looks like it's had a hard life, the front wing in the pic also has rust on the front edge, the other sill is starting to bubble with rust, so if you bought the car IMO would be better getting all the work done instead of wee bits here and there. Then you can get the car painted, it'll add up to a pretty sum of ££ to get it to "show room condition" as the seller was suggesting.

You'll need to work out if it's worth spending a lot of money on this car. Also has the engine had regular servicing, belts changed etc etc. Who replaces a clutch without replacing the release bearing!!

Bob.
2004- MX5 Euphonic in Titanium.
BoabG
OC Member
Bob Gray
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:25 am

Don't think it's a good price at all.
One of the worst I've seen recently I'm afraid.
£300.00 "spares or repairs" would be nearer the mark.
If the coachwork has been allowed to go like that it does not auger too well for the oily bits & servicing.
Does it need cambelt & water pump? How are the calipers? Fluids changed recently? No mention of any of that.
You can get solid go-ers for less these days S ltd or not.
You need to budget circa £400.00 per side for the sills...minimum. Never mind the front wings/wing
Big issue is not what is visible but what lies inside.
If the rot has spread to the seat-belt mountings it's really a goner. Definate MOT write-off.
As for the hide, that would be the least of your issues but easy enough to get them recovered..expensive.
I'd hang off and look for another around £12/1,400.
Sorry, but that's the way I see it.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby iain cooper » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:40 am

I would agree, best to forget about this one, much better available out there.

Iain
iain cooper

Postby drumtochty » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:52 am

There are people who think the S limited is something special compared to any other MX5 Mk1.

They may well pay that price for the car.

It is an MOT failure and if one side is gone the other is on the way out.

If it was inexpensive to fix then the guy would do it and make a great profit when it was in showroom condition.

He knows it is not worthwhile

I agree with Old Spice it is an MOT failure cost around £300 as the bits are only useful to someone who has the space at home to strip it.

Walk away at that price and my opinion is if you had to ask the question you have asked about the sills then you probably do not have the skills to sort it.

I am no use at welding and if I was I would not have to ask the question.

There are better car around with an MOT for the price that Old Spice has indicated.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby cjt66 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:02 pm

I'm all for trying to keep theses cars on the road rather than scrapping them.

But have to agree this is far too expensive with the work required.

Your looking at least £2K to fix the body work with a respray, and £500 for new covers for the seats,. That's before you even start with the mechanics. You have to accept that your never getting this money back no matter how good the car is when finished. So its worth looking for something better requiring less work and money if you cant do it yourself.

Theres' good cars out there for the same money.

I spent 6 months looking for my second 5, and found a Merlot with lower mileage, newish roof, sills and arches done, cambelt done, new recon calipers all round, new rad, and a hardtop for not much more than this car.

keep looking it'll be worth the wait.

C
94 Mk1 1.6 Mariner Blue
96 Mk1 1.8 Merlot
cjt66

Return to Technical