Air Con Retro Fit

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Air Con Retro Fit

Postby Pimpernels » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:31 pm

I have a 2005 Mk2.5, 1.8, without Air Con.
Has anyone carried out a retro fit. At this stage I do not have any of the parts. I believe that all Mk2.5 parts, across the years will fit ?
How about any of the Mk3 parts - any thoughts.
A good winter project and will be in time for the summer.
JP>
Pimpernels

Re: Air Con Retro Fit

Postby drumtochty » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:07 pm

The Mk3 will have nothing to fit on a Mk2.5.

You would have to get in touch with a breakers to get the bits.

Autolink etc will have most if not all the bits.

It will end up costing a good few hundred pounds.

A 4 wheel laser suspension set up and undersealing the car if not rusty would be better place to spend the money.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Pimpernels » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:17 pm

Thank you for your comments. But I do need to get some coolness in the cockpit.
I carried out the undersealing with Dinitrol rustproof and wax last winter, using enough cans to cover a large saloon car, so more than adequate. I should have hired a compressor and purchased the appropriate cans, it would have made the job a great deal easier.
Also had full 4 wheel alignments, which made a difference.
JP>
Pimpernels

Postby mgrays » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:10 pm

Expensive in one word. I had A/C on a Mk1 and decided to fix it .. It was best part of £800 in parts alone when I stopped counting .. new condenser(radiator) £380, drier £40, pipes £300, pump to rebuild, then refill (well bought a Vac pump and gauges as same price but still £150). Before it failed I had tried a local A/C shop and they failed to fill/fix the leaks so that was a wasted £70 and it (yet again) destroyed my faith in folk working on my cars!

I took a/c out of another Mk1 to gain some bits but really the only bit usable was the pump.... but then if you are lucky the pipes would not be corroded .. my pipes and most used pipes corroded under the radiator where a steel bracket held an aluminium pipe which was continuously covered in salt every winter.. a perfect little corrosion cell which they designed out but this is hard to guess from the spares schematics.

I would buy a car with A/C .. and use that .. or at least harvest the A/C and resell the car for the same price. The A/C is never great and in Scotland it is useless most day as the roof down + sun hat is better .. I only got mine going for Europe after getting caught in 37C odd.. but there you just drive up the Alps! :D
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Return to Technical