Front Bumper

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Front Bumper

Postby BoabG » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:26 pm

Was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the front bumper on the MX?. Got a few wee jobs to do which will be easier with it removed. Need to get myself a manual I think..

Thanks.
2004- MX5 Euphonic in Titanium.
BoabG
OC Member
Bob Gray
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Front Bumper

Postby drumtochty » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:28 pm

It's a pain in the bum. You need to undo nuts that will be rusted and various other fastners.

I have been putting that job off for years.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby bmv6197 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:44 pm

Certainly worth getting a workshop manual to take (some of) the pain out of jobs like this one. Rod Grainger's Mk1 manual has a useful step by step guide - can't imagine it's hugely different to the Mk2. It's not a complicated job - but you'll be undoing a good number of bolts, nuts and fixings, starting with the inner wheel arch liners.

As Eddie says, the real pain is that after a decade of salt, moisture and dirt (and cheap quality Mazda nuts and bolts), most of the fixings won't give up the fight easily... So expect to soak everything in WD40 first, but still anticipate ordering a bunch of new hardware before you can put it back together. When I first did this job a few years ago on my Mk1 (which is a very clean car having spent the first 10 years of its life in London), I still ended up breaking at least half a dozen bolts and brackets - I ended up replacing everything with marine stainless hardware, which made removing the bumper a second time a couple of summers back, an absolute doddle.

Good luck,
Brad.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

Postby BoabG » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:50 pm

Thanks guys, I'll see what bolts etc there are and get new ones. I'll spray the bolts over the next week and try to remove the bumper on saturday with the help of my son.

Will check ebay for a manual too.
2004- MX5 Euphonic in Titanium.
BoabG
OC Member
Bob Gray
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Technical