radio problems

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

radio problems

Postby airmiles19 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:25 pm

I have just bought a 2002 mx 5 convertible .
I runs fine but the problem is with the radio and curtsey light witch only work thru the aux ignition
I have checked all the fuses can anyone tell witch fuse is the live feed to the radio and curtsey light please
I have checked them all and appear to be ok now
thanks
rene.gilliam270@btinternet.com
airmiles19

Re: radio problems

Postby drumtochty » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:49 pm

airmiles19 welcome to the forum.

The wiring on the car changed between years so you have more work to do.

In the owners manual that came with the car there is a list of fuses you will find beside your right hand knee in the passenger compartment. Not the main fues box in the engine compartment.

If an owners manual did not come with the car you will get one off ebay but only buy one that is for the correct year.

There are two fuses you are interested in.

The ROOM fuse and the manual will advise which fuse that is, powers the radio memory circuit, the electric aerial and the interior light, it is always on even with the ignition off.
It also powers certain other circuits.

If it is blown it will not stop the radio working but the radio will not remember station settings and if the car is so equiped the electric aerial will not go up or down I believe.

Also in that fuse box is a radio fuse again the manual will tell you which one it is, possibly the fuse box cover may have the info on it.

Now the bit of your message that makes little sence, you say that the radio and interior light only works with the ignition on aux.

If I remember correctly the ignition switch is multi layered and one layer that powers the radio operation not the radio memory, it has a link between aux and ignition on terminals just for that circuit.

Therefore that would suggest a faulty ignition switch or someone has been messing with the wireing say the had a very high powered audio system in the car.

The interior light power comes from the ROOM fuse that is not ignition controled so I can see no reason at all for that it is only working on ign aux unless there is a very weird grounding fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your MX5.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:05 am

If the aux setting on the ignition switch is anti clockwise from off and not one click clockwise wiith" ignition on" two clicks clockwise my mention of a link between the these positions is incorect.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby airmiles19 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:43 am

thanks for that
but
1 I have changed the fuse marked :room its ok but is wired via aux switch
2 I have changed the fuse marked radio makes no difference
so I don't know where else to look

according to the wiring diagram there is a feed to the radio socket blue/red but I don know where it goes
thanks
airmiles19

Postby drumtochty » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:30 pm

Reading my original message gives a clue but you missed it.

Is the switch?

A) one click clockwise aux, next click clockwise ignition on, next click clockwise start, In that case you appear to have a fault in the ignition switch internals,

B) If it is different report back.

If (A) you could run a wire from a source that goes live via the ignition switch through a diode to the feed wire into the radio.
That would prevent the AUX voltage feeding back into the items that should only go live with the ignition on not on AUX.

You do not want to even think about changing the ignition switch unless you want to spend a few hundred pounds on second hand bits and a lot of work.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:46 pm

See next message
Last edited by drumtochty on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:57 pm

drumtochty wrote:
airmiles19 wrote:thanks for that
but
1 I have changed the fuse marked :room its ok but is wired via aux switch
2 I have changed the fuse marked radio makes no difference
so I don't know where else to look

according to the wiring diagram there is a feed to the radio socket blue/red but I don know where it goes
thanks

1) The ROOM fuse dose not feed through the AUX unless someone has been modifying the wiring. Nor does it feed through any part of the ignition switch.

The blue red wire feeds into among other things the always live terminal in the radio to keep the preset radio stations in the radio's memory when either the user switches it off or the ignition is switched off. It does not run the other features of the radio. It also feeds the electric aerial if fitted to allow it to automatically lower if the ignition is switched off with it in the up position. The raising of the electric aerial is via a signal from the radio again via the radio fuse and ignition switch.

It is the radio fuse that feeds via the ignition switch all the normal radio functions other than the volatile memory of the radio. It feeds one layer of the ignition switch that only feeds the radio when in the AUX and "Ignition on" positions.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:13 pm

99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby airmiles19 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:33 pm

just to repeat
1 the room fuse is ok but only works wirh ign on!!
2 the radio fuse is ok but is inoperative
It would appear somebody before I had the car cut the direct feed to the room switch and connected it to the aux
so how do I rectify this ??
I will take the radio out and check the live feed to see where it goes
airmiles19

Postby drumtochty » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:36 pm

You require the wiring diagram for a 2003 UK MX5 to start your inspection and find the possile rouge wiring that may or may not be there.

I have no access to these but will point you to the wiring digram for a Miata of that age.

Warning this is a wiring diagram for a Mazda United States market car, not a Mazda UK supplied car and the wiring may well change.

http://www.mellens.net/mazda/index.html

You now have to take the internal fusebox out of the facia if possible and trace the wires of course with the battery disconnected.

I have worked behind the facia but it is less than pleasant and requires the seat to be removed. 14mm socket to remove.

I would not do that on my own but with a person as competent on car electrics as myself beside me to double check my actions.

You could end up with very major problems here with the immobiliser circuits that stop the car starting and cost hundreds if not more to rectify.

There is no ROOM switch on the car so I cannot understand the reference to it in your post.

The ignition lock barrel for this car will only accept the keys you have which have a very complex transponder, which in turn are paired to the immobiliser and the ECU.

The keys on the Mk2.5 cannot be cloned like the Mk2 keys can be.

So to change out the lockbarrel is not for the faint hearted.

At this point you may want to find if possible a local, top notch, auto electrician who has access to the Mazda UK wiring diagrams to complete the task.

You are going where I would think twice about going without the puka UK wiring diagrams.

Best of Luck.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:44 pm

If I remember correctly you can log on to Mazda Europe and pay to download technical info.

https://mapps.mazdaeur.com/cas/login?se ... eur.com%2f

You will get wiring diagrams there if you are doing it yourself I assume.

The site is down untill 2:00 pm this afternoon.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby airmiles19 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:34 am

I have gone to Mazda for advice
they think the ecu has been altered and they feel its needs resetting
they said they can do it and charge me for 1/2 hour work
thank to every body for there advice
:D
airmiles19

Postby drumtochty » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:57 pm

It would appear somebody before I had the car cut the direct feed to the room switch and connected it to the aux
so how do I rectify this ??

So the Mazda Tech disconnects both battery leads form ther battery and then put's his foot on the footbrake to remove any possibility of electric charge in the system by earthing the positive side of the electric system.

ECU is reset.

That will fix a wiring fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby airmiles19 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:33 pm

I have now been advised that this car had been fitted with a non standard alarm system witch has sins been removed and the connection bridged with a fused connection block
how do I rectify this please ?
airmiles19

Postby liathach » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:34 pm

If the alarm system has been removed, then the fused connector can only be reconnecting the (presumably) live wire cut to fit the alarm so I don't see that your radio problem is caused by it. I think you need to look elsewhere, possibly with a competent auto electrician.
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby airmiles19 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:44 pm

the live wire connects to one end of the connector the other side (via a fuse)got 2 wires connected and go presume to the ignition
the question is witch would be cheapest option have a electrician undo redo the wiring or just by an other alarm and ask him to reconnect
airmiles19

Postby airmiles19 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:47 pm

it was probably an immobiliser to
airmiles19

Postby airmiles19 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:56 pm

it is;
KEY 1 aux .ign .start
is this right or wrong please?
airmiles19

Postby drumtochty » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:01 pm

That is as expected.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby airmiles19 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:36 pm

after several attempts by the dealer to fix the radio he said he could not do I ask me to get an estimate from an electrician and he would pay
I took the car to an electrical firm recommended by maszda

he quote me a couple of hours work but it would appear he has blown up the EMU
the sais hes been told its a common fault and it would appear he is refusing to take responsibility
is there electrician here by any chance who confirm what he is saying please cos I am stuck
cheers
airmiles19

Next

Return to Technical