boot rubber seal fixing

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

boot rubber seal fixing

Postby slartibartfast » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:50 pm

Any idea what I should use to "glue" the boot rubber seal on with. It looks looks it was one with some sort of gooey black adhesive (I don't know if that was original)

It needs to be waterproof and in fact stop water travelling up under the seal by capilliary action. My fisrt thought was silicone , but when that sets it's a bit permanent.

I suppose there is some automotive product , but I didn't see any in Halfords :)

Any ideas ?

Slarti
slartibartfast
OC Member

Postby Phil » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:04 pm

I think silicone would be ideal, waterproof, flexible and it can be removed if yiu really need to. :lol:
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby slartibartfast » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:05 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I've been told "Dum Dum putty sealant" is what you use. I can find it on-line but I would prefer to buy it locally. Anybody know where ?

Slarti
slartibartfast
OC Member

Postby DouglasH » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:27 am

Try Halfords at Shawfield or car assessories shops, I'm almost certain dum dum putty is what's used on the polythene seal attached to the inside door card, I seem to recall seeing it somewhere, comes in a roll in between greaseproof paper.
DouglasH

Motor Factors

Postby loftladderman » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:10 am

If you cannot find it in Halfrauds then look up "Motor Factors" online or the Yellow Pages in your area and phone them.
IS how I got mine :-)
Regards from Mack
Greddy Turbo :-)
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Return to Technical