clunking from rear end when going over bumps

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Postby jeannie » Sat May 31, 2014 9:51 pm

Car 11 plate 25500 miles was serviced a few weeks ago. New pads front and rear. Since then every time I go over a bump or speedbump or pothole there a metallic clunk or thud. I have removed the Jack and it's in the passenger footwell. I took it back immediately as in the next day but nothing heard. Took it back 5 days later and the mechanic heard sound when we went for a drive. But on ramps nothing found. Took it back this week and still nothing found. Driving it today is embarrassing!!! Any help appreciated as its going back AGAIN!!
jeannie

Re: clunking from rear end when going over bumps

Postby drumtochty » Sat May 31, 2014 11:08 pm

My Mk3 has the same problem and I have my own two post lift and I too cannot find the source of the noise either.

Please post the solution when it is found.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Macscorcher » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:56 am

I've had the same issue since I bought my car ! Various garages & myself have looked the only thing we've found is the back calipers rattling ? But when checked the next time they seemed fine ?

Jeannie can I ask was it a Mazda dealer that did ur discs & pads ? Just wondering as my car had new rear discs fitted just before I bought it ?

Same as Drumtochty I'd love to know the source !
Macscorcher

Postby DTB » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:15 pm

Could be worth checking all the nooks & crannies around the engine bay - wouldn't be the first time a mechanic has dropped a socket or other tool into the engine bay & been unable to retrieve it, or simply not noticed.

I once owned a mazda 3 for a few years which had something somewhere near the bulkhead/under the scuttle tray. I could hear it sliding about sometimes but never could fine it. I always thought it 'sounded' like a 1/4 inch drive 10mm socket :?
DTB

Postby jeannie » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:07 pm

Pads SDM Falkirk. So after 2 days of clunking. Filled up with fuel today... Not a sound!!
jeannie

Postby mgrays » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:11 pm

Do some trouble shooting with potholes and speed bumps (they do have their uses..)

Try over a bump that both wheels go over .. do you get the clunk?
Try each wheel singularly (left wheel .. then right wheel in a separate test) over a bump/hole.. do you get the clunk?

If it happens on both wheels when doing it singularly.. then probably anti roll bar related (as that twists as you go over bumps with only one wheel)
It if happens only on one wheel with the single wheel bump .. then you can track it down to that corner.
If it happens with all the time.. probably not suspension related..
Now try and imagine what sort of noise it is.. metallic, rubbery, dull, sharp .. and then try and reproduce the noise by getting someone to tap bodyshell or parts.. and looking for the right type of component.

'tis a skill to find things like this.. and harder in a small car where you cannot ride around in the boot listening for things..
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby bobjay » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:18 pm

Jeannie same thing happening to me I posted about it here

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13283

Like you, I have this intermittently and it goes away when in the garage for diagnosis but returns when I am driving.

I can go 2 or 3 days with no noise and then it's back for a day or two.

It appears to be cause by dips/depressions in the road rather than bumps. When the wheel/suspension lowers that's when the clunk is heard.
bobjay
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby speedar » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:11 am

I recently bought a 2010 RC with 10000 miles on clock and one of the first things I noticed is a clank going over some bumps or speed humps. Especially noticeable going over a rumble strip in my street. Going up about an inch onto rumble strip no noise but when coming off there is a clank! Noise seems to be from behind my right shoulder. I think it is more of a loose metal sound and I thought at fist of an insecure jack but eliminated that. I now thinking it may be from linkages etc for powered roof. Booked into Mazda dealer in two weeks time. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
speedar

Postby Scotty Dugg » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:05 am

Mine does the same but only at medium speeds, I thought of doing a Bobjay has with replacing the droplinks would cure it, which will be getting done in 2 weeks.

I need to replace my disks and pads also, so will keep up to date.

Have read a few places that droplinks are the probable cause, I believe I have twisted bushes as well which can lead to "clonks".

I'll update when it's been looked at.
Scotty Dugg
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby jeannie » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:01 pm

hi everybody
Car went back in on Tuesday and i got it back on Thursday. No more clunks. So excuse the layman terms: apparently not enough grease on the brake sliders... whatever they are. And something to do with calipers. So they agreed it was only when the car was warm as the lubricant was thinner so making contact. Hope it lasts. :D
They had to drive it around a bit till it was warm but at least it was good weather!!
jeannie

Postby bobjay » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:25 pm

Thanks for posting that solution Jeannie. Could you please post, or message me, the garage you used.
bobjay
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby speedar » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:45 pm

Hi,

Solution to my problem was faulty rear shockers.

I returned car to dealer previously and rear pads were suspected of rattling in caliper. Grease applied but I found that when I partially applied handbrake thereby reducing free play, noise was still there!

I then read an article in August Auto Express magazine where an owner related an identical problem with his MX5. Long story short is that the rear shockers were eventually replaced under warranty by his dealer (Machargs, Glasgow).

My rear shockers were recently replaced under warranty-problem solved.

Hope this update will assist.

Regards
speedar

Postby zebedee » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:04 pm

I have just seen this thread. I had a similar problem after the discs and pads were changed in a previous MK3 I had.

On rough roads or speed humps there was a rattle from the rear end. To confirm it was the brakes I went over a road section I knew made them rattle and applied a little bit of brake while driving at the same speed, the noise disappeared.

I suspected they had not replaced the rattle plate springs/plate....or whatever they may be called, but they assured me they had. I kept taking it back to the garage that changed them and eventually the noise went away.....Im not sure what they did, but it was brake pad/caliper related.
zebedee

Postby Mx5-20th-Anniversary » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:41 am

I have a Mk3.5 2010.

I have been searching for a clunking noise (sounds very metallic like a hammer hitting a brake disk and very embarrassing driving past people on the pavement) for a year.
I also have supplied my car to a garage that could not find anything wrong /loose, I noticed in the warm dry weather that the clunking noise was worse / runny days ok.

I have recently replaced the rear brake pads and drop links all round but no joy in getting rid of the noise. This is my first forum post as I was not able to find my issue from the forum or the internet. So I thought I would join (first post :D ) and try and help out others that have helped me in the past.

I put the car up onto the ramps and started banging about on exhaust, heatsheids, drop links but I found that I was getting a noise from the drive shafts from both side of the differential.

See attached picture for more detail -
If you look at either side of the diff there are round boss and then a flex boot (inbound joint), if you take a hold off the round boss try and move them side to side (back and forward towards the diff) you may find the most annoying noise, There should be movement but no load clunking noise.

I carefully remove the clip holding on the fexi boot (small screwdriver fold back the small tabs then fold the tail back 90deg) I then moved the fexi boot to the side to find the grease flowing out, this should not of happened the grease had degraded.

To fix - I folded the boot back on it self and cleaned the joint out off all old grease and packed it with fresh grease, returned the boot and put the clip back on. Skill level easy.

So far my car now sound brand new! really delighted with the results and the good thing is that you will know this is the noise even before you have to remove anything.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
cv-joint.png
Drive shaft
cv-joint.png (10.58 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
Mx5-20th-Anniversary

Return to Technical