Some quick questions...

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Some quick questions...

Postby rossp » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:20 pm

Ok, new MX5 owner here - had a mk2 while my company car was on order and finally managed to convince the better half that a second car was in order :D (silver mk1 - harvard)

anyway - things I need to think about are:

I have a few small rust bubbles appearing on the sills - I've seen the posts about this and would like to get them sorted out - any recommendations for where to go (I'm in Fife and work in Edinburgh)

Noticed today (In a monsoon) that there was a little water gathering in the rubber lip just at the very front above each side window - and a small drip (larger when I stuck my finger in it) - is this normal in very heavy rain or something to get checked?

any tips for leather restorer products - some cracks in the seats

what about products to "clear" the rear window which has a few scratches but not enough to warrant replacing I dont think

Cheers!!!
rossp

Postby Phil » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:24 pm

Autoglym do a product to keep your leather supple and 'fed'.

For the rear window use Renova (not sure if I've spelt it correctly but it's wet and dark so I'm not going out to the garage at the moment). 8)
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Re: Some quick questions...

Postby Si » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:28 am

rossp wrote:I have a few small rust bubbles appearing on the sills - I've seen the posts about this and would like to get them sorted out - any recommendations for where to go (I'm in Fife and work in Edinburgh)

Noticed today (In a monsoon) that there was a little water gathering in the rubber lip just at the very front above each side window - and a small drip (larger when I stuck my finger in it) - is this normal in very heavy rain or something to get checked?

Hey Ross

I know a good spray painter just outside Linlithgow. It's a company called AVB and the spray painter there (Alec) is IMHO good. He recently did my spoiler, without me leaving the car for him to blend it in, and it's a pretty damn good match! I'll let you have a look at it sometime.

Best way to sort out the water in the rubber lip is to put vaseline on it. It helps make the rubber a bit more supple and allows the corresponding rubber bit on the door to pop in to position a bit better. I had this same problem and if you look closely you'll see that (probably) the rubber lip is getting squashed by the door, when in fact it should mould round it slightly (hope that makes sense).

Welcome to the world of the MX-5 ...... the Harvard is one of my favs (except the god awful wood effect trim that Mazda decided to fit)

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

rubber seals

Postby grouse » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:45 am

If you have access to baby oil and baby powder, you can mix up a thick paste - then apply same to all types of rubber seal.

Works wonders, stopping sqeaks as well!

(bound to generate a comment from some... :wink: )
grouse

Postby inddigo » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:31 am

hmmm baby oil, what a waste putting it on the car............

( sorry Gordon couldnt resist :) )

Andy

BTW Welcome Ross to the addictive world of the MX5 8)
Andy and Jo
Zoomette '96 Eunos VR Ltd 1.8
Zoom II '03 MX-5 Supreme Blue 1.8 Sport gone to...
Zoom '94 MX-5 BRG 1.8 Sport - Now gone....
inddigo

Postby Phil » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:14 am

Baby oil :!: we will be discussing the lates gloves next. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby inddigo » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:35 am

Phil pls dont start me ill get banned by Si :lol:

Andy
Andy and Jo
Zoomette '96 Eunos VR Ltd 1.8
Zoom II '03 MX-5 Supreme Blue 1.8 Sport gone to...
Zoom '94 MX-5 BRG 1.8 Sport - Now gone....
inddigo

Return to Technical