Advice on ecu removal! Please

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Advice on ecu removal! Please

Postby smiles » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:07 pm

Hi guys just a quick question I pulled up the carpet to reveal the ecu plate. I noticed its a few bolts it just I'm removing the ecu to get chipped and I'm doing it at my Grans garage and she doesn't have any tools. I see I need a 12mm ish spanner is there any more bolts under the plate that I need to remove before I get to my grans and don't have the correct tools. Thanks for any advice
smiles

Re: Advice on ecu removal! Please

Postby gm » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:48 pm

I would take a selection of sockets, a hammer and a big screwdriver / chisel - there is a good chance that they will be rusted solid. under the metal cover you will find some 10mm bolts and cross head screws on the ecu brackets. take a pic before you detach them, it's a bit of a puzzle getting them back in the right place.
gm

Postby smiles » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:40 pm

Ohhh the joys I was hoping it to be a easy job simple. Few bolts and it's out
smiles

Postby ExocetT » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:44 pm

It is not a hard job, I will take the one out of the mx5 I am breaking tomorrow / Tuesday and tell you the sizes you need, . As long as your foot well is not soaking it should all come out easily.

What running are you going for?

Toby
ExocetT

Postby smiles » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:07 am

All done was a 10 min job and all screws came out no probs and not a drip of water anywhere in the footwell. Never mentioned running. The person that is chipping it is highly recommended and knows his mx5's. I have spoke to him on the phone and he is replacing the crystals and adjusting the fueling to lean it out a bit as they run rich standard. It also allows it to rev to about 8k and off the rev gauge. What do u mean what running did u go for?
smiles

Postby ExocetT » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:42 pm

hi Smiles

I am glad you found it an easy job!

I meant tuning not running, stupid predictive text on my phone! Are you sending it to the guy who advertises on Ebay, i was tempted to send him the one from my Exocet.

Toby
ExocetT

Postby smiles » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:43 pm

I was told about him so I investigated his website is www.skuzzlemotorsports.co.uk and gets gd review. I'll let u know how I get on and if there's any performance. It's only £25 so thought might aswell and I'll let everyone know if it's worth it but gd reviews so far from other people.
smiles

Postby joeytalent » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:44 am

Yeah, there's a big thread about it on nutz here:

http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=108042&st=0

I was pretty tempted, I've even got a spare ECU knocking around..
joeytalent

Postby smiles » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:26 am

Hi guys iput up a topic about removing the ecu from a mk1 mx5. This was sent away to a member of another forum and claimed that u could get a chip for £25 which was replacing the crystals or something. I still dont really know what it does the car now revs to 8k rpm and has a noticable mid range torque and pulls alot stronger and better fuel consumption but cant comment on that as ive not filled up and not used it that aften. dont get me wrong good mod for £25 but it doesnt change it into a ferrari. I feel £25 is a gd price and noticable difference. Car was only off the road for a few days very fast turnover. The guy gets highly recommended and know his mx5's.
I would highly recommend him and for detail go onto his webpage and have a look:-
http://www.skuzzle.com/motorsport
good wee cheap mods and we all like a cheapy at this time of year.

Smiles
smiles

Postby DazTilley » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:44 pm

Found this thread doing a search.....

How did the ecu crystal tuning go?
Are you still running it with the crystal mod??

Cheers
Daz
1990 Eunos Roadster 1.6 V-Special
2001 Suzuki GSXR 1000
DazTilley

Postby gm » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:32 am

Smiles is sadly no longer an mx5 owner (which he seems to be regretting) but when he let me drive his car round knockhill, it definitely had an eagerness about it that I liked. I should really get the chip done to my own car some time and see how (if) it affects lap times.
gm

Postby DazTilley » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:52 am

Oh right.... thanks for letting me know :D

Have read a lot about it and it seems to be a great mod for £25
Have been in touch with Nick Bailey at skuzzle and will be getting the mod done soon :D

Would like to go down the S/C route but unless i can get a used kit - i don't think i'll bother...
2001 Suzuki GSXR 1000
DazTilley

Postby DazTilley » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:02 pm

ECU is on its way to Nick @ skuzzle motorsport to have the 4.19 crystal mod done :D
Hopefully i notice the difference :D :D
2001 Suzuki GSXR 1000
DazTilley

Return to Technical