Undersealing - DIY or garage

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Undersealing - DIY or garage

Postby Kinross » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:24 am

Hi live in Edinburgh in flat. Want to get underneath of car ready for Scottish winter. Does anyone know of where I can get car up on a ramp or should I just take to garage. Would actually like to do myself but not sure how I can get car up high enough to work under.

Also need to replace boot lid on MK2 and I do not like the raised lip. When I replace can I change to boot lid with no raised lip?

Lots to do to get car ready for winter...

Thanks in advance....
Kinross

Re: Undersealing - DIY or garage

Postby drumtochty » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:10 am

You can get under the car in the street but to be honest unless you can get it on a lift and have a pressure washer or steam cleaner to get the dirt off it is IMHO not worth the effort.

It also takes a few days as you have to
Remove some bits, wheels and wheel arches liners and possibly the bumpers to get into some areas that get wetted but cannot be seen.
Clean
Wait to dry,
Rub down the rusty areas,
Rust Treat
Prime
Topcoat
Apply underseal
Replace the bits.

To be honest most garages that offer this service will only give a short pressure wash and then spray assuming that any rusted area will not get any worse, mainly as you cannot see it rusting under the black wax.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby joeytalent » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:02 am

Can safely say do NOT take it to Lochrin Autos - I paid to have mine undersealed there, and was less than impressed with what they did!
joeytalent

Postby Bert » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:49 pm

I'll talk to a guy I know at MacDonald minis see if he is willing to do it for u?
Bert

Postby mgrays » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:23 pm

I was living in similar ways but had nothing to do most weekends about 6 years ago in Edinburgh .. and spent a couple of Sundays lying in the gutter in an unused industrial estate tarmac car park. Used Dinotrol aerosols and hammerite in tins and cans; now I would use 2 part epoxy paint from Rust.co.uk/Frosts/Jotun and a bunch of cans of Dintrol, and rust converter .. oh and some zinc rich primer from Bilthammer. Used a big old screwdriver to chiesel off lumps and hand held wire brush. Found some timber from a skip that I put back later to use as an axle stand plus put wheels under for safety. Result was not as good as a proper job but it held things static for a year and slowed things down for 3 years. Oh and that quiet place still looks quiet 55.953783,-3.119452

At the time the Ziebart place was still running; last seen here;Ziebart, 40A Seafield Road East, Edinburgh, EH15 1ED, 0131 657 5700 .. did ring them up at the time and got a week days only and not too much sense.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby Kinross » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:31 pm

Thanks...

Going to take it to a few garages and get some quotes.... Concern is that they do not do a good job where is I would be happy to take the time...

Never been that much into working on cars before but do find it strange that you can not hire the use of a ramp to put car up....

Got 3 gararges to get quotes of next week..... can anyone reccomend a garage they have used and were happy with job... Also what sort of costs are we talking about?

Thanks

Scott
Kinross

Postby drumtochty » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:26 am

To do it properly would be

Steam Clean and leave for a day £120
Prep and repaint rusty areas a further day to cure £100
Spray with underseal day 3 £120

Total around £350 to £400

More likely as people will not pay that or give up their cars for two to three days, you will be quoted nearer £150 to £200 for putting thick black stuff on after a quick pressure wash. People then look underneath their car after the treatment and get a warm feeling of seeing the mass of thick black stuff and cannot and do not want to see the areas that are still rusty and cannot be seen but the wax has something in to sort that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My original 1998 Impreza rust guarintee required it to be retreated after one year at the Subaru garage at the owners expense. I got it done about £120 and they sprayed the black stuff over mud as they did not pressure washer it first.

I did not bother getting my next two Impreza's retreated at 1 year old by Subaru for that very reason.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby toscababy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:32 am

I asked about this when putting my car in for the sills, he was honest and said it wasn't worth doing due to the age of the car (52 reg). Mainly due to the fact that it would just be covering problems and is easier to repair any rust patches as you see it.
toscababy

Postby drumtochty » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:37 am

toscababy wrote:I asked about this when putting my car in for the sills, he was honest and said it wasn't worth doing due to the age of the car (52 reg). Mainly due to the fact that it would just be covering problems and is easier to repair any rust patches as you see it.

There are some sprays that are supposed to be sprayed into blind holes for inner sills etc and by magic convert existing rust to good metal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it is worth treating areas that you can see if only to get it past the MOT as it is stopped rusting and my car had advisories and after treating the advisories are no longer advisories but areas that are blind to the sprayer are stil blind and will take their own course.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Colin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:08 pm

toscababy wrote:I asked about this when putting my car in for the sills, he was honest and said it wasn't worth doing due to the age of the car (52 reg). Mainly due to the fact that it would just be covering problems and is easier to repair any rust patches as you see it.

Interesting point you make - my "new" Mk3.5 car has now been through 2 winters and is used daily (about 7k per year). Am I already at the stage where it's pointless getting it undersealed as it will simply cover the developing rust?
Cheers
Colin
Maturity is greatly overrated
Colin
OC Member
Colin Stuart

Postby drumtochty » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:20 pm

Colin

October 2009 at a Grampian tech day we had a 3 month old Mk3.5, Malcolm Lamont's car and about a 2 year old Mk3, Ian's car over the pit. Both cars need a small touch up at exactly the same place near the rear wheel but otherwise they were in great condition.

The main problem is that Mazda miss out a number of areas underneath re underseal mainly we assume as these areas are supporting the car in the factory while the underseal is applied. Access to a pit or lift or for that matter a set of ramps for half an hour together with some rust converter and some underseal or better still for a few hours to paint as well and dry before putting on the underseal will produce big dividends.

Just a few spots needing done but well worth the time.

As you are aware any hidden areas that are rusting will just take their existing course after two winters being wetted with salty water.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby keevster » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:49 pm

There is a place in the Newcastle area, cannot remember the name of them, but they do a full professional underseal, all areas of the car. I was going to get my EVO 6 done, think they quoted me £300, you can also hire a car from them to for the day.

Also this place, not heard anything about them but. www.jrclassics.co.uk

A lot of place local will do an underseal for about £100, however its sprayed on wayoil, chassis and arches usually. I have had all my import honda's undersealed, but i'd question longetivity of how they were done. I think if you wish to hold onto the car for a period of time, pay for the Pro underseal, 'and have it done every couple of years.

Paul
Lotus Exige S240
MX5 MK3 2.0 Sport
keevster

Postby Colin » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:14 am

Thanks guys, with the nights once again drawing in it's something I'll need to think about.
Cheers
Colin
Maturity is greatly overrated
Colin
OC Member
Colin Stuart

Postby Kinross » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:55 pm

Update....

Going to get a few quotes this week... Plus local garage that my Uncle knows owner... he is going to allow me to use ramp and I can then do cleaning and treating job with supervision... happy to put in elbow grease to get job done right.....

Next question is on the boot of Mark2..... I bought this 1.6 basic Mark 2 to have some fun and for daily use in Edinburgh.... Happy with the shape of front of car but do not like the lip on back of car.... boot is rusty and may need replacing.....

Can I replace boot of Mark 2 with boot from other model?

If not what is the best bet for changing..... Was thinking about luggage rack?

Also looking to buy alloys and wondering where to look.... Concerned about buying second hand.....

Want to run this car for a lot of years....

Whats your thoughts....

Thanks again

Scott
Kinross

Postby Kinross » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:30 pm

Another update....
Spent hours with car up on ramp and wire brush etc.... Then had whole underside sprayed with underseal.... Looks like this will have to be done every year....

Now got to deal with small rust spots appearing on arches....

Going to have a go myself...

Was thinking about replacing Front wings with second hand rust free parts.... been in touch with lots of breakers and waiting on response....

Has anyone replaced parts on cars with second hand parts?

Any good or bad story's?

Thanks

Scott
Kinross

Postby IanN » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:12 am

Hi Scott

Try Autolink for wings, ask for Andrew Stott.

http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby Richardn » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:09 am

Kinross wrote:Update....

Can I replace boot of Mark 2 with boot from other model? Scott

No the Mk1 boot doesn't fit

secondhand alloys are always a risk, but buy ones with original finish then get them painted if need be
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Undersealing Dinitrol

Postby roadster1 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:47 pm

Just came across this post,

I run an undersealing company in Johnstone "Preserve & Protect" using the no1 product Dinitrol, which is a German product, far superior compared to the likes of Waxoyl.
We are the only Dinitrol approved applicators for Scotland. I have run mx5's for many years myself and I know them inside out, I am also known as the "Mazda Man", as I have rebuilt mx5s making ast road cars and I also sadly have cut them in half due to severity of rust.
If any of yous are local to me please feel free to pop into my workshop to see the process and ask any further questions. All contact details are on the website.

www.preserveprotect.co.uk

Thank you for your time

Mark
roadster1

Return to Technical