MK4 Gearbox Tech Night

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

MK4 Gearbox Tech Night

Postby drumtochty » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:53 pm

Sometime in October there is a Tech Night at Paul Roddison's workshop in Sheffield where a gearbox and back axle product engineer will comment on a failed Mk4 gearbox being stripped down.

It should be an interesting night. We will probably go down to the Peak District for some walking at the same time.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: MK4 Gearbox Tech Night

Postby IanH » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:50 pm

Eddie,

Will be interested in any feedback from that session.

Ian
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby Enjay » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:39 pm

Likewise.

I've heard a few grumblings about the Mk4 box but I haven't actually seen anyone saying anything definite as to what might be wrong with them. Can anyone point me in the direction of an article or discussion where I could find out some info?
Enjay

Postby IanH » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:18 pm

I think the starting point should be that yours will be OK, all RF's will have upgraded boxes.

From release in 2015 to about August or September 2016 there are a range of boxes (numbers listed in a worldwide TSB) that may shred second and third gear under circumstances that are hotly debated. Track or autocross type use seems to be an implicating factor, fitment of an LSD may be another, nothing is confirmed publicly.

Paul Roddison, the subject of the wrecked boxes above has shredded several now while racing, Mazda UK are saying that this breaches the terms of use of the car and will not replace his boxes, which is a slightly odd position seeing that racing and track day imagery have been used in the promotion of the car..

Mazda are speedily replacing those which fail and have not been used in competitive racing, what happens beyond the end of the 3 year warranty, which for some will be August 2018 is a cause of concern.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby Enjay » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:01 pm

Thanks for the info. Useful to know even if it won't affect me directly.
Enjay

Return to Technical